Dizziness when coughing

lavanity

it's definitely not just you. a lot of coughing (and many other things) can trigger a vasovagal response which can cause fainting...or other symptoms that would occur before the actual faint. this enters into the bathroom category (warning!), but i actually have trouble when i'm constipated b/c the pressure/straining can trigger the response...just as can a cough, a sneeze, etc...it's actually related to the test some of us have had done where you blow hard into a tube (valsalva).

here's a quick bit of info that says in more official terms what i said above:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?retry...2374499735E1CCC

so...it may not be specifically a POTS symptom, but it definitely can be related to the autonomic nervous system....

the fun never ends, eh?

:-)melissa

Let me clarify... if you have a diagnosis of POTS or similar problem, dizziness when straining, such as coughing, is common. However, if that, alone, is your only issue, then, NO, it's probably not POTS. Normal people get dizzy and lightheaded after long coughing episodes, or several yawns in a row.

Nina

thanks for the clarification nina...i was (oops!) assuming it was a question based on already having POTS/OI....

:-)melissa