Fludrocortisone Taper

Trying

Our daughter was on .1mg for about 3 months, then .2mg for another 2 months. It did not make her feel any more energetic. Cardiologist instructed her to taper over a month time. But 2 days after her last dose, she started having episodes where she would feel sudden malaise, then head burning sensation (my husband saw her face/lips turning white), then tachycardia follows. She has also had headaches and she does not usually have them. She is currently back to taking 1/4 of .1mg tablet, but cardiologist wants her to discontinue after another week. She is feeling even less energy.

If you have taken or know info on tapering from fludro, please tell me dose and duration and any difficulties in stopping it?

I tapered very slowly without much difficulty over a couple of weeks.  I went from a half of a 0.1mg tablet daily to a quarter then a quarter every other day and finally a quarter every 2 days.  After that I took a quarter a couple of times a week then stopped.  For the fatigue I take modafinil.  Good luck.

Sounds like the fludrocortisone might have been working better than expected.  It doesn't help my daughters' energy, but it does keep them from passing out!  Sounds like that's what was happening to your daughter.  Pre-syncopal episode.  My youngest daughter recently just stopped her fludrocortisone, as her bp was plenty high enough and the med was making it too high.  I wouldn't advise this, but when your body doesn't need something anymore it can be much easier to taper off, as your daughter wasn't on it for very long.  Sounds like it might have been keeping her bp up and without it, she's starting to have episodes.  I would see if you could convince your cardiologist to give it another try.  Sounds like she's doing worse without it.

• 4 years later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:42 AM, p8d said:

I tapered very slowly without much difficulty over a couple of weeks.  I went from a half of a 0.1mg tablet daily to a quarter then a quarter every other day and finally a quarter every 2 days.  After that I took a quarter a couple of times a week then stopped.  For the fatigue I take modafinil.  Good luck.

Hi! How long did you stay at each lower dose before lowering it again?