Social Security Advocates

Hi all, I am in the middle of filling out my inital paperwork for SSDI. Geez, talk about a mental work out. I'm frustrated almost to the point of tears. Do any of you know of any Advocates (not sure if thats the right word) that will review your paperwork before you submit it. To check the wording etc to make sure you have it filled out as best it can be?

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa,

There are usually Disability Advocates at the County Assistance Offices. At lesat that is how it works in PA. You can try that route. They also sometimes know of attorneys who handle the cases.

My advice...and I am going to be very firm here...GET A LAWYER. Don't mess around. Don't file yourself. The lawyers can only charge you a small fee based on how much you get in disability and it is worth every penny. They will fill out ALL of the paperwork for you and do all of the work.

Emily

Lisa,

There are usually Disability Advocates at the County Assistance Offices. At lesat that is how it works in PA. You can try that route. They also sometimes know of attorneys who handle the cases.

My advice...and I am going to be very firm here...GET A LAWYER. Don't mess around. Don't file yourself. The lawyers can only charge you a small fee based on how much you get in disability and it is worth every penny. They will fill out ALL of the paperwork for you and do all of the work.

Emily

Thanks for the advice. I have called over 20 attorney's. None of them will help until I have already received my first denial! That's what is so darn frustrating...I'll keep looking though.

hi lisa -

just wanted to send you an "i'm right here with ya"...i spent over 12 hours on the initial intake (online) and just received my ADL forms before my move that are due by the end of the week. the forms are pretty intense, eh? fyi, it is pretty "standard" that SSDI attorneys often don't take cases until at least an inital denial, so don't think it's just you. good luck with everything!

:-)melissa

There is so much variation in what stage the lawyers will take the cases. In Montana I couldn't get an attorney to talk to us - and they said they wouldn't until just before the hearing stage. We moved to Missouri and had already been through the first denial and hubby's was through the reconsideration. The lawyers here thought we were crazy because we hadn't come in before we filled out the initial paperwork!

I had to get a friend of mine who is a nurse to come fill out papers for us - hubby had been disabled for a long time and I had been supporting us so when I got sick we were really in trouble!