Quick, Sharp Pains

potsiebarbie

I get these quick sharp pains randomly throughout my body. They are just for a moment (thank goodness!), but if they were any longer I'm sure I'd drop dead of the pain. Lol it can happen in the chest, abdomen, legs, even a toe! Some areas hurt more than others (torso is worse than leg). Honestly, I've kinda accepted it. Doctors look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them. But still the unknown scares me. Anybody experience this and/or have any idea as to what it is?

@potsiebarbie That was my first symptom. And it was all on the right side of my body as well. Doctor was like, well it's carpal tunnel. And I said ok, that's my hand/wrist but what about the ones in my neck, hip, foot etc? They do just stare at you blankly. It is indeed a nerve thing. Mine have decreased in frequency quite a lot over time so I hope yours will too! :)

When I was a kid (starting around age 13) I'd get them ("quick sharp pains") all the time. Back then I called them "the shocks". These days (I'm 61) they happen far more infrequently but when they hit they hit hard. They do tend to come on more when I'm especially fatigued or have the flu or some such. The worst ones are in my feet and in my side ribs. (Oh, the ones in my side, those are absolute buggers.)

The only quick sharp panes I get or used to get a lot were around my ears area. It may be myofascial trigger point referal pain from the clavicular division of the SCM muscle.

As far as all over the body I have had wet/water sensations and stinging burning paints hitting me randomly all over the body. I wouldn't say they felt like sharp though. That was a very traumatic experience that lasted 5 years. It seemed to be a reaction to taking many different antibiotics in an attempt to see if I had Borreliosis infection. After 6 months or so those symptoms started and I decided it was a really bad idea to try that and the doctor was really bad doctor, which I suspected, but I didn't think the antibiotics would do any harm.

The stinging sensations would take over a year to go away and would start all over again any time I had an upper respiratory infection. That is all it would take. I don't think I've had antibiotics for over 8 years now and don't plan to any time soon.

1 hour ago, potsiebarbie said:

Yes the ones on the side are pure torture. I get them in the "heart area" too. Those are unrelenting. I wish I had a good answer. They really worry me. Doctors just think I'm a big hypochondriac. 

A few months ago I had one of my all-time worst POTS attacks, one that sent me to the emergency room. Best way to describe what it felt like (in fact how I described it to the ER doc and the several nurses who tended to me) was "as if a sumo wrestler has crawled up inside me and is sitting on my gut with his feet propped up on my diaphragm - and every once in a while he punches me (hard) in my heart, just for the (ugly) fun of it". They, of course, looked at me like I was either drugged out or bat poo crazy. (Oh and, my EKG, blood work, various scans and X-rays all turned out normal. I even aced the stress test they gave me as part of the followup. Go figure.)