Functional Neurological Disorder / Conversion Disorder

Wondering if there is a link, crossover between Functional Neurological Disorder. and Dysautonomia.

Certainly many shared symptoms.

It has been likened to having a software problem that makes  perfectly undamaged hardware perform incorrectly, that parts of your structurally normal brain are not communicating with each other correctly, automatic parts of the nervous system not being given the correct instructions, sound familiar?

http://www.neurosymptoms.org/

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/fnd/

I have to say I do not like the term "functional" particularly when used by neurologists. It carries vaguely offensive connotations and is often used or interpreted to infer the patient's symptoms are psychogenic. 

When I was a young and healthy medical student, I remember such terms being bandied about with a bit of a wink and a snigger, along with "supratentorial" or "non-organic". 

I suspect a lot of things currently assigned such descriptors will, as science advances, be identified as having defined underlying pathology, similar to how epilepsy was misunderstood in previous centuries. 

B x

1 hour ago, bombsh3ll said:

I have to say I do not like the term "functional" particularly when used by neurologists. It carries vaguely offensive connotations and is often used or interpreted to infer the patient's symptoms are psychogenic. 

When I was a young and healthy medical student, I remember such terms being bandied about with a bit of a wink and a snigger, along with "supratentorial" or "non-organic". 

I suspect a lot of things currently assigned such descriptors will, as science advances, be identified as having defined underlying pathology, similar to how epilepsy was misunderstood in previous centuries. 

B x

A good point, but I have to say that in all the links I have looked at, measures have been taken to stress the opposite whilst acknowledging there has been a tendency amongst health professionals to act in the way you suggest. The very change of the term from "Conversion Disorder" has in itself been a measure to correct this view, the notion having been that physical symptoms were simply a conversion of mental problems into physical ones.