FMLA

voxel

Hi @voxel - that I can share my experience on. When I first got sick I tried to continue working although I kept passing out at work. Then they gave me a desk job and I continued passing out. Often I was too ill to go to work so I used up a lot of FMLA. In the end my doc made me take off long stretches at a time and I used up all of my FMLA. It goes on a rolling calendar, so if you use 3 weeks in January you have to wait until next January to get them back. Once I exhausted all of my FMLA they even gave me 3 extra months of leave so I could keep my benefits. But as of May 2013 I had to quit work all together. I had long-term disability through my employer as well as short-term that I had selected. The short-term paid for the first 6 months and the long-term for everything after that. But they made me apply for SSDI ( because of course they don't want to pay me until I am 65!! ). They supplied a lawyer and all. After I got SSDI they still pay a small amount every month. - So - yes, thank god I had both short-term and long-term. But don't forget: long-term disability benefits usually do not go into effect until after 6month of missed work. Short-term disability insurance covers the immediate needs. Also - once you use up your FMLA you are no longer guaranteed that you will get you old job back. … Best of luck - I hope you will not need any disability benefits!!!!!