Best upper arm blood pressure monitor for pots??

Elle

Hi guys, I'm new here, and new to pots. Do any of you any recommendations / anti-recommendations (that's a word, right? :blink: Score for brain-fog!) for an upper arm monitor that a) works with the stand test and low blood pressure,  and b) isn't also an instrument of self-mutilation ! ? !  

I've recently tried one by microlife (the boots one) and good grief the pain! (there's some kind of extra plastic strip that gets pressed into your arm by the metal bar) I'm well used to pain, but this I had to hit the button and deflate in the middle of the second reading , it felt like it was doing damage! My arm was still painful half an hour later and the red mark was still on my arm hours and  later. According to the readings it didn't over-inflate) 

so.... I thought I'd ask you guys - any success? Any advice? 

If at all possible I'm looking for one that also has compatible small cuff attachment available to use with it - a standard size will fit me now but I've had weight loss issues with my illness' in the past so would like to take that into account. 

Hope you're having as good a day as possible 

I had a wrist cuff one that I used to use but my cardiologist said those ones are not very accurate... I recently just bought an arm cuff one off Amazon for a decent price... I'll let you know how it is once I get it. Just make sure you search around, read the product details ( some only come in one size cuff) and skim through the reviews! 

Pharmacies have good ones as well and you can actually visualize them before purchasing, but they can be very expensive. 

Best of luck!

I have one by Balance. It has Bluetooth so it will automatically store your stats. You just have to download the app. Doesn’t hurt at all. I keep this one at home and just bought a wrist cuff for my purse 

Bluetooth Blood Pressure Monitor Cuff by Balance, Free App with Smart Connected BP Monitor, Upper Arm Cuff, With Large Digital Display, Kit Complete with Soft Carrying Case (Bluetooth New) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSYBLT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_g9JtBbY028N5T

5 hours ago, Elle said:

Hi guys, I'm new here, and new to pots. Do any of you any recommendations / anti-recommendations (that's a word, right? :blink: Score for brain-fog!) for an upper arm monitor that a) works with the stand test and low blood pressure,  and b) isn't also an instrument of self-mutilation ! ? !  

I've recently tried one by microlife (the boots one) and good grief the pain! (there's some kind of extra plastic strip that gets pressed into your arm by the metal bar) I'm well used to pain, but this I had to hit the button and deflate in the middle of the second reading , it felt like it was doing damage! My arm was still painful half an hour later and the red mark was still on my arm hours and  later. According to the readings it didn't over-inflate) 

so.... I thought I'd ask you guys - any success? Any advice? 

If at all possible I'm looking for one that also has compatible small cuff attachment available to use with it - a standard size will fit me now but I've had weight loss issues with my illness' in the past so would like to take that into account. 

Hope you're having as good a day as possible 

Hi,I'm new also :) still learning myself. I'm not sure about the cuff, I switched to a wrist one so I could take it with me everywhere my BP is super low this am it was 62/50. But, I see you've had weight loss issues also. I lost my appetite and I'm just too fatigued to and get up and eat something, I try and eat one good meal a day. What about you? 

I used to have an automatic cuff BP reader but it was too inaccurate. I now measure my own BP manually with a stethoscope. Much, much better! I used to measure the automatic and then the manual and there usually was a great difference. Manual is more accurate, even doctors and nurses redo BP's manually that are too high/low when taken automatically. 

The biggest thing I have noticed is the cuff itself. The machine doesn't seem to matter but try to find a cuff with no metal in it. My old one used to pinch sometimes and boy it would hurt. Right now I don't check much. When I do check it is at work and my boss is trying to teach me manually. My hearing is too sensitive though so I have trouble hearing myself over someone else. It isn't hard though. Anyway that cuff has no metal and that makes a huge difference.