Compression Stockings

Delta

Hello, and Happy 4th!  My dr. wrote me a scrip for compression stockings - little did I know that there are so many different types.  From what I have read on here and elsewhere, the type that are actually pantyhose (i.e., they go up to your waist) are the most effective; however, I see that some of these have "feet" and others are "footless".  Is there a preference?  For example, one site said that footless ones might not be as effective because leg circulation starts in . . . the feet!  I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts, type/brand/etc./recommendations, experiences, etc.  Thank you in advance!  - Delta

I wear thigh-high with feet, open toes in summer and closed in winter.  My feet turn purple with standing and while showering which certainly indicates that I pool there.  Open toes are somewhat cooler but any are extremely hot in summer.  I like Juzo brand and you can get lots of colors and tie dyed ones.  The ones I have seen that are footless are not 30-40mHgs so check your prescription for strength.  It’s good to get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.  Some pharmacies do this and some places that specialize in compression garments too.  There are also aids that help get them on, I highly recommend getting one.  

8 minutes ago, p8d said:

I wear thigh-high with feet, open toes in summer and closed in winter.  My feet turn purple with standing and while showering which certainly indicates that I pool there.  Open toes are somewhat cooler but any are extremely hot in summer.  I like Juzo brand and you can get lots of colors and tie dyed ones.  The ones I have seen that are footless are not 30-40mHgs so check your prescription for strength.  It’s good to get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.  Some pharmacies do this and some places that specialize in compression garments too.  There are also aids that help get them on, I highly recommend getting one.  

Thank you for responding!  The scrip actually doesn't specify a strength; does it need to?  Are 30-40mHgs what people with POTS are supposed to wear?  I have heard that they are difficult to put on and that it can take some time to "master the art" . . .  Do you buy yours on-line?

You should check with your dr on strength but it’s my understanding that you don’t need a prescription for any less than 30-40.  I order mine through a local company that sells all sorts of compression items.  She carries many brands and bills my insurance which pays for two pair a year.  I got the device that helps get them on from a local pharmacy that fits and sells them.  I could not get them on without it.  

1 minute ago, p8d said:

You should check with your dr on strength but it’s my understanding that you don’t need a prescription for any less than 30-40.  I order mine through a local company that sells all sorts of compression items.  She carries many brands and bills my insurance which pays for two pair a year.  I got the device that helps get them on from a local pharmacy that fits and sells them.  I could not get them on without it.  

Thanks!!  There are a couple of places here locally that I will check with.  One more question - what symptoms do they help with?  I don't know that I have pooling in my legs because they don't turn purple when I stand; however, my feet turn purple hen I am sitting on the table at the doc's office, with legs dangling . . . 

If your feet go purple sitting that’s a pretty good sign you have pooling.  Your Dr certainly must know if they have observed it and recommended stockings.  They keep my BP up about 10-20 points which decreases my symptoms.  When my BP gets too low I get just about every symptom, shakes, tremulous, hot/cold, dizzy, stumbly, tunnel vision, wrong words come out and more which I believe are from norepinephrine surges (I have hyper pots).  I still am uncontrolled but swings are a bit better and every little thing helps.  Weather changes, hot and cold, make everyday different but stockings, along with meds, careful fluid intake all help somewhat.