less sleep more hyper

Radha

do any of you get even more hyper and jumpy when you get less and less sleep? it seems my body speeds up inside the more sleep deprived i get, instead of getting more tired and slower and the less i sleep the more my mind races with thoughts, even more than usual that is. i think i get more and more exhausted and it gets even harder to relax to fall asleep, any advice would be appreciated, wish you all a goodnight,

radha

quote=Radha,Jul 7 2005, 05:45 AM]

do any of you get even more hyper and jumpy when you get less and less sleep? it seems my body speeds up inside the more sleep deprived i get, instead of getting more tired and slower and the less i sleep the more my mind races with thoughts, even more than usual that is. i think i get more and more exhausted and it gets even harder to relax to fall asleep, any advice would be appreciated, wish you all a goodnight,

radha

:D I know exactly what you mean Radha I am exactly the same when it comes to bed time. I also find that with the M.E I suffer from increased muscle twitching and spasm at this time. I was prescribed a 25mg dose of Amytriptiline and this has helped to a degree much more so than anything else. As for the mind racing I find you need to get into a regular relaxation technique. Put some relaxing music on quietly in the background especially specified relaxation tapes with rythmic waves and such. Lie on the bed and gradually, working from head to toe, work through relaxing and tensing each muscle i.e. clench hands into tight fists and hold for 5 seconds and then gradually release over the next 5 seconds. Try to clear your mind and concentrate on the music and hopefully it will just help in relaxing you enough to drift. It's certainly worth a try anyway and is especially good for the less mobile of us in order to maintain muscle function and to help decrease blood pooling prior to sleep.

Wishing you a restful night :(

i too have experienced this feeling, particularly when my insomnia was REALLY bad post gall-bladder surgery. it's almost a "manic" type thing in a physical sense. and it's something that is documented in the medical literature in terms of sleep deprivation at times bringing on a manic-type state. i know that's the extreme, but just thought i'd throw it out there. of course there's then the question of what comes first...the hyperactivity/ "on" feeling or the lack of sleep. it can go either way & easily become a cycle. poor nutrition & weight loss can also make it worse...making one jumpy while at the same time with no "real" energy. i was having this a lot prior to my vandy trip as my intake was horrible.

now i still have the hyper-alert issue at times during the night when i wake or when i'm trying to sleep but don't have it during the day; at earlier times i had it almost 24/7. so...you're definitely not alone in this...

:-)melissa

Me too!! I have the hyper adrenergic form of POTS. I have to take ambien to force my body into any kind of sleep. I only get 3 hours of sleep a day and instead of becoming more and more tired, I become more and more wired. It drives me crazy and I feel crazy! Sometimes I take more ambien after I wake up after three hours, so that I can get some more sleep. Sometimes I wish I had the type of POTS where I felt fatigued and could sleep the day away and not be aware of how hyper I am and NEED SLEEP!!! I seem to jump at the slightest sounds and I feel irritated and anxious. Whichever form of POTS you have: fatigue or hyper or both, it's an awful feeling!

Just wanted you to know you are not alone.