just curious

ok, this happened a while ago, still puzzled: Was very very symptomatic, even laying down, took bp, and it came out to something like 50/60---backwards. Still alive to tell about it, just curious about it, obviously unusual for systolic (that's the top number, right?) to be lower than the diastolic...Any idea what that meant?

Ariella

Some would say that this is impossible. But since learning of Dysautonomia I don't believe anything is impossible.

However I would check your batteries or wait a few minutes and take another reading to check for errors. This is probably a question for a knowledgable medical professional.

I did do a quick search about this and all I could turn up was that a nurse said it was possible intra-aortic balloon pump which I'm pretty sure doesn't apply to you or anyone else here. :P

Hmm, I would check it again and see if it is continuing or if it was just a fluke or error, however, I also agree that with POTS, these strange things seem suddenly possible.

Here's a link that addressed the issue of diastolic and systolic numbers that are closer together than 40 points, a typical POTS phenomenon.

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=2118

It could indicate that you are dehydrated (having numbers that are close together). My recommendation--take in some more fluids with electrolytes if possible and try not to check your bp for awhile! If I get to involved in checking my hr and bp, it can get me worried and just make me feel worse.

Take Care,

Katherine

ugh, computer just gobbled this, here we go again. I think I understood that if the systolic and diastolic are too close too eachother, this is called narrow pulse pressure, and could be a sign of shock. (any nurses out there?)

Would make sense, was having other severe shock-like symptoms at the time. Believe it or not, shock symptoms happen so frequently that I don't even report it to the doctor. Oh, and my pulse pressure is usually very close together,a reading of say, 80/65 is not unusual for me at all.

Ariella

Guest Julia59

My blood pressure is often 90 something over 70 something---15 to 20 point spread.

This is usually in the morning---and my BP is more towards normal in the evening.

When I have a small difference between the two numbers I usually feel very sluggish and light headed. I have never brought it up at Dr. Grubb's office.

But it will be a good question to bring up to the nurse practioner at his office tomorrow.

I'll let you know what I find out. My appointment is at 10:00am.

Julie :0)

ariella

Perhaps this helps:

"Patients often have measurably low standing pulse pressure, which can be an indicator of venous pooling."

[A difference in the two numbers that is smaller than 40 is called low pulse pressure. ]

This is from http://home.att.net/~potsweb/POTS.html

Again, I think that re-hydrating yourself and probably increasing salt may provide some relief. But, hopefully you can talk to a doctor about this soon, as the reversed numbers sound unusual even for POTS.

Do you keep a record of these readings and symptoms? That might help your doctor in determining a treatment.

Katherine

my guess is that the reading may be a combo of a super small difference & a BP machine that is then confused. but again...who knows. personally i tend to feel pretty cruddy when my systoolic & diastolic are either really close OR really far apart...go figure.

an interesting conundrum for sure...

:-)melissa