Compression Stockings & Question

Steph89

I finally caved to my inner LOL (little old lady) and tried compression stockings at work this past week. Since the arrival of warmer weather my symptoms have magnified.  I have IST with hypotension which is exacerbated by Propranolol and it's been a struggle at work to the pooint where I've had to leave because my blood pressure was so low I couldn't function.  In desperation I tried the compression stockings not expecting too much but wow! I sit at a computer all day and I felt so much better! No dizziness when standing up, no wooziness after standing for a while, I even think it helped me from feeling like I was burning up! I highly reccomend giving it a try...I got the toeless thigh-high 20-30 mmhg.  With my symptoms, compression stockings, and eye problems I think I'll just retire 40 years early and move to Senior Living haha

On another note, I planning a vacation to Florida in early summer next year and wondered if anyone has any tips on dealing with the heat I'm sure to encounter on the beach and walking around outside aka no AC? Thanks everyone!

Hi Steph89,

I too have IST with hypotension (but much higher blood pressure when I stand too long).  I take salt tablets like crazy so I can tolerate Methyldopa (I cannot take beta blockers).  I know what you mean - I couldn't live without my compression stockings!!!  At first I was prescribed the knee-high ones but I still had a lot of swelling at the knees, which became quite painful.  One of my doctors (who had participated in an aerospace medical research project for the space program) told me I needed to buy the full-length pantyhose and what a difference!  They keep a lot of blood in the upper portion of my body and for the first time in a long time I actually don't have a ghostly white complexion.  I felt really embarrassed wearing them at work but then discovered that Juzo makes a line of super sheer ones that look like pantyhose (I wear those at work with my skirts and nobody knows).  I'm so used to them that they don't even bother me anymore. 

I went to Disney with my kids 2 years ago and thought I would die out there in the heat.  I found that cooling towels really work around my neck but I don't think I could last long living in Florida (the humidity really gets to me).  During my commute to work I carry a cold bottle of water that I can drink as well as apply to my neck (a cold can works better than a plastic bottle).  Carrying an ice pack to apply to my neck helps as well.

I just finally bought waist high compression..... LEGGINGS.  I got them from RejuvaHealth.  They are not awful and constricting around the waist like I feared.  I can wear them as pants at home and with a tunic or dress in public.  They're gray, so they fit right into my regular capsule wardrobe of gray leggings.

I went on a vacation in the south recently.  I struggled with the *change in temperature* between outdoors and a/c more than the heat itself.  The worst was in the car stepping out into super-hot parking lot.

Years ago when I was first being affected by the heat (when the doctors thought I has MS) I found these "cooling clothes" in the MS magazine. A vest with pockets for ice packs-I use this when I get into a car in summer time. All are based on cold water soak, then wringing out excess and had wrist bands, neck wrap held on by velcro  and head band/handkerchief for your head tied behind.....oddly they keep you cool yet not wet-"evaporative cooling vest-don't remember the name-remember a polar bear on ad.

I wear compression clothes from chest to toes for good functional days and less if I am not going out and about, or standing for very long. I bought from Tommy Copper and got some good "sale" items...otherwise they are very expensive. Was at Walmart the other day and found some "Danskins" capri for good price and solid support too