Fainting vs Rapid Sleep from Exhaustion

We frequently all hit the sack and are drifting off in moments. I had insomnia again last night and when walking through my kitchen felt as if my internal power had blinked--like the electricity in the house can blink during a fierce thunderstorm. I was able to get to bed soon afterwards and got up at normal time, had a cup of coffee but had to go lay back down right afterwards--felt ugh. I woke up some hours later but it didn't feel the same as my other sudden naps. It's hard to describe but my overwhelming sense was fear, I did not feel rested from sleep but instead felt more like my power switch had been turned back on.

I do have a scheduled appt with my cardiologist in about ten days. If anyone else has had a similar sensation how do you dialogue that with your doctor? I have to tell him I think I may have fainted but I'm not sure as there is no physical evidence, well still, hooray then for that. In the past he's asked me if I've fainted and I've laughingly told him how would I know if my head isn't bruised. I have fainted in the past and wound up looking head on at the dog bowls on the kitchen floor, but I never did it on my bed--at least, I don't think so. Right now I am feeling much better but will pay attention and if it happens again I will see if I can reschedule sooner and I assume yes. If any of you have had such an event please let me know if I am on point with my description. 

Thanks,

T