hyper POTS response to fluids

p8d

Hi everyone.  I've been less active but lurking for several months.  I have hyper POTS, high norepinephrine on standing tested two years ago.  I used clonidine until a month ago when new cardiologist switched me to Bystolic.  I have far fewer bp drops and less fatigue on Bystolic but bp is staying elevated to 150s/upper 80s by mid-day and continuing through the day.  When I drink 8-16 oz of fluids my bp jumps 20 or so points systolic in minutes.  That leaves me 170s/88-91 for awhile.  I'm told to try adjusting doses and document vitals. I tried 1.5 tablets of Bystolic with not much change in bp.  I cut back fludricortisone to 1/4 tablet daily from 1/2.  I don't like my bp going this high.  I called the Dr Wednesday and am waiting for a call back.  Any ideas what is causing this and what I can do/ask the Dr for?  Is this response to fluids normal?  Help!! Thanks in advance.

I also have Hyper POTS, but I haven't experienced the fluctuations with fluids. I used to get huge random spikes in my BP before I was on meds, but I am on a beta blocker and SSRI now, and my BP actually stays pretty low/steady, typically around 115/70ish, unless I'm having a particularly bad flare.  I wish I could help, but I'm not really sure what might cause the jump for you.  Hopefully someone on here has experience with the same meds!

Drinking a bolus of 16 ounces cold water raises blood pressure from a pressor response.  I'm pretty sure it's normal!  I think you can avoid it by drinking smaller amounts and/or warmer temperatures.  I'm curious what your blood pressure does if you drink 16 ounces of a warm drink?  Are you willing to try it to satisfy my curiosity?  Please update us when you hear back from your doctor!