Does anyone else use a cane?

Don

I have issues with joint pain in my knees and hips.  Walking long distances can be painful.  I broke down the other day and bought a walking cane.  It's actually rather stylish.  Not plain.  It has some pretty Asian artwork on it against a faded yellow background.  I do however, feel really odd using a cane at my age (34).  I'm afraid people will look at me and wonder why someone my age would need such a thing. My wife told me not to worry about it.  She said if you need it, use it.  Canes can be used for other purposes other than joint pain, I found old threads in this forum from a couple years ago with a few responses where people were using them for support for lightheaded and dizziness to give them some stability.  I have autonomic neuropathy and am wondering if my joint pains could be related.  Any thoughts or ideas?  I'm trying to get used to using my new "stick".  I still feel awkward.  For those of you who may use one, did you feel the same way?  

I agree with your wife, I wouldn't worry so much. I am just a hair younger than you and I am considering buying one for the days of my bad dizzies. I get tired of hugging walls and feeling like I can't do anything myself. If it helps go with it. My boss has a cane that he uses when his body doesn't want to work right and to help keep him steady ( he is older but has suffered from a couple strokes). Good luck, and the cane sounds beautiful.

StayAtHomeMom, I got my cane from a medical supply/pharmacy shop not far from my house.  My 3 yr old actually picked it out.  She has good taste, lol.  It cost me like $50, but you can get simpler ones without elaborate patterns on them for less.  The shop actually measured me for it and cut it for free.  There are some really pretty ones out there for women, too.  I have found it useful so far in taking some of the stress off my legs.  

On a side note, many health insurance companies cover canes, crutches, walkers, etc. as part of durable medical equipment and considers them a necessity.  Medical supply companies will often work with them to get your items paid for.  You may need a prescription from your doctor.  Just something to check into...

Hi Don, your cane sounds really beautiful.  I'm sorry you feel awkward using it.

As an able person, please let me assure you that if I saw a youngish person using a cane, I certainly wouldn't judge them for it.  Perhaps it would cross my mind "I wonder why they are using a cane?" but honestly I would immediately think of something else, and I would never think of it again.  It's not my business to know, and unless I can help in some way (like giving up my chair), I wouldn't dwell on it at all.  

I can understand you may feel odd, because it is unusual to see a younger person using a cane.  However, this will probably stop members of the public accusing you of not needing it, so there is a bright side.  If it's a nice cane, they'll probably just admire the design :)

One thing everyone has to learn is being comfortable with ourselves and our abilities.  It sounds as though you really like your purchase..  Remember that just like glasses or hearing aids, a cane is simply a tool which helps with your quality of life.  It doesn't define you at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Don,

I hope you are used to your cane!  I bought myself a cane seat last year.  I've used it a handful of times since it is a bit on the cumbersome side and I also don't want to decondition myself.  The first time I took it out of the house I was embarrassed (and my kids were too) but I actually found that when my "episodes" started and I wasn't feeling well, I had less anxiety during them because people around me would see the chair seat and assume I had a medical condition and not just wonder why I was acting weird (like trembling and yelling at my kids that we had to leave a store immediately or sitting on the floor in the supermarket, waiting for my husband to come and get me).  Not that I want anyone's sympathy, but I definitely noticed that people were nicer to me with the cane.  For instance, nobody grumbled when I walked too slow or needed a break walking up steps.  I have the greatest difficulty with slow walking (like going to a museum, shopping, or on a tour of a historical house) and found that rather than pacing back and forth, sweating and having cardiac issues because I couldn't find a seat fast enough, I could just sit on the cane seat.  I took it on vacation with me to an amusement park (it was great to wait on while watching my kids on rides) and when I took my kids to Dave & Busters.  I found that just leaning on it as a cane frequently helped as well.  Does anyone else use a cane seat?   

Hi Don,

I started using a cane a year ago mostly because of a balance issue as well as my dysautonomia. When I have walked too far my legs get wobbly first, giving me time to sit or lay down.  I also have a handicap sticker for my car so that on bad days I can park closer. I am 62 and have the need so it does not bother me. Ending up on the ground is much worse

Debbie

Hi all.  Yes, I am getting used to using my "stick".  It's really coming in handy.  I used it today when I went to my appointments at Mayo.  The hospital is very big and it's a long way from the parking lot to the medical center.  Helps with my joint pain when I walk long distances.