Disagnosed w/ PCOS & Insulin Resistance

kalamazoo

Was disagnosed today with polycycstic ovarian syndrome and insulin resistance. My insulin levels were off the charts with a normal range of 2-26 (forgot the unit) and mine was at 140. This explains so many of my symptoms though. Do any of you have issues with glucose/insulin or hormone imbalances? I'm going to be put on metformin 

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  I do not have any such problems, but when I eat a standard american diet I get symptoms consistent with post-prandial hypoglycemia.  I do not have them on a low carb, high fat diet (paleo diet, to be precise).  Perhaps you could try it for a month?  It flies in the face of what the registered dieticians will tell you, but it makes sense to me.  If your body doesn't handle carbs properly, then why eat them?  

Guest KiminOrlando

Sorry to hear this, but it doesn't surprise me. In talking with my doctor over the years he has explained to me that dysautonomia boils down to either not having enough of a chemical or hormone because your body doesn't make it, or having enough but the receptors for that chemical won't catch the chemical when it goes by and react. It sounds like your receptor for insulin is broken. I don't know what they do about that.

I hope you find answers. 

Kim

Sorry to hear. My hormones are a mess as I'm nearly 40. lack of cycle x 3 mos is my latest phenomenon.I had gestational dm with my last pregnancy and have hypo and hyperglycemia episodes but no labs consistent for diagnosis. I am on a low carb high protein diet...that's helped a bit. I don't tolerate progesterone and ocp causes headaches and nausea. So I'm in limbo too. Keep us posted