Treatment for occasional excersize induced arrhythmia flare

lewis

Anyone know of something I could look into for the occasional arrhythmia flare? I don't want to go back on a bb and want something I could use as needed. It seems to flare up at the worst times when giving it rest isn't convenient. I've only tried metropolol   (didn't seem to do anything) and propranolol and didn't like the side effects of that one.

I think it's categorized under the svt and pc's although my heart rate doesn't get above 135.  Just what the doctor has told me. Done the holter monitor 3 times and it never showed a thing even though I had experienced it (do those things even work?). 

I'm pretty sure it's from sympathetic over activity Or under activity . I do know my norepinephrine levels get high too over compensate for my nervous system not constricting my blood vessels. The high levels cause my heart to have the arrhythmias. The bb helped this but I hated the side affects.

This is a really interesting topic, in that some of you have diagnosed arrhythmias such as SVT along with a diagnosis of dysautonomia.   Have your doctors indicated this is a separate problem or can it be related to the dysautonomia?  My sister, for instance, has had SVT, but does not have symptoms of dysautonomia, as I am sure is the case for most people with SVT.   I just wonder if we are more prone to them because of the inherent nervous system problems as they relate to the heart?   I, too, note Lewis that the ectopics (i.e. pac and pvc's, I guess) will come on after trying to do any activity, or even the heart will just start pounding real hard, even if not fast).  I definitely think it is either overactivity of sympathetic or underactivity of the parasympathetic system, as you said - it all relates to just an inappropriate response on the part of the autonomic system.  That is how my doctor explained my tilt table test, that the parasympathic system was non-responsive; therefore, I guess, causing an overactivity of the sympathetic or failure to keep in balance, which causes the symptoms.   Has anyone else been told that? 

Can I ask, too, for those diagnosed with hyperPOTS, how high your norepinephrine was on standing?  I was not diagnosed with hyper, but my norepi was elevated only in the 900's.   I have read where anything over 600 on standing is abnormal, but then I also read where it is normal for the norepi to double on standing even for normal people - anyone have info on this from their doctors as to how a diagnosis is gleamed from your norepi results?.   That was the only abnormal result I had out of all the catecholamines tested.  Just curious ow that works.  Thanks to Sarah for taking the time to post those links - very helpful to be just handed the info without having to search for it!

On 9/9/2016 at 5:48 AM, SarahA33 said:

Lewis - sorry for the late reply.  Have you ever tried clonidine? It counteracts Norepinephrine levels. Another Rx used for hyper pots in the same class is Methyldopa.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/21/2814#sec-4   Few paragraphs down under "Eval & Mgmt"

http://www.cvpharmacology.com/vasodilator/Central-acting

Thanks for the info. I havent tried clonidine so I will look into it.

On 9/9/2016 at 8:18 AM, Amyschi said:

This is a really interesting topic, in that some of you have diagnosed arrhythmias such as SVT along with a diagnosis of dysautonomia.   Have your doctors indicated this is a separate problem or can it be related to the dysautonomia?  My sister, for instance, has had SVT, but does not have symptoms of dysautonomia, as I am sure is the case for most people with SVT.   I just wonder if we are more prone to them because of the inherent nervous system problems as they relate to the heart?   I, too, note Lewis that the ectopics (i.e. pac and pvc's, I guess) will come on after trying to do any activity, or even the heart will just start pounding real hard, even if not fast).  I definitely think it is either overactivity of sympathetic or underactivity of the parasympathetic system, as you said - it all relates to just an inappropriate response on the part of the autonomic system.  That is how my doctor explained my tilt table test, that the parasympathic system was non-responsive; therefore, I guess, causing an overactivity of the sympathetic or failure to keep in balance, which causes the symptoms.   Has anyone else been told that? 

Can I ask, too, for those diagnosed with hyperPOTS, how high your norepinephrine was on standing?  I was not diagnosed with hyper, but my norepi was elevated only in the 900's.   I have read where anything over 600 on standing is abnormal, but then I also read where it is normal for the norepi to double on standing even for normal people - anyone have info on this from their doctors as to how a diagnosis is gleamed from your norepi results?.   That was the only abnormal result I had out of all the catecholamines tested.  Just curious ow that works.  Thanks to Sarah for taking the time to post those links - very helpful to be just handed the info without having to search for it!

My SVT has to be related to dysautonomia since I never had one without the other. My ectopic beats don't happen every time I do physical activity. Two weeks ago I went hiking and had them the entire time. Last week I strapped 50lbs of water to my back and hiked 5 miles. I did this twice in 2 days and didn't have one ectopic beat or svt. I'd love to know what brought me into a flare so I could avoid it. I have an appt. With my cardiologist on wed and will see what she says. 

Lewis, that is really "interesting" how your symptoms could be so different at different times, but that is good at least that you don't have it all the time and can sometimes do activities that you love!    I am that way too; some days not tachy at all on standing, for instance, and then other days it is real symptomatic.   I think it must be like catching colds maybe; sometimes the body handles it, and sometimes you catch the virus.    I myself, however, find that any additional "stressor" will bring it on consistently, i.e. having a virus, an upset stomach, a lot of pain, etc.   It's almost like that additional circumstance pushes the dysauto over the edge.  That might be the case when you get the exercise-induced arrhythmia at times.   Just I thought, as I certainly am not an expert!   I have read, though, that the symptoms of dysautonomia can vary daily, even from hour to hour, and that is certainly so true, isn't it?  Hopefully your appt will go well - thanks. 

53 minutes ago, Amyschi said:

Lewis, that is really "interesting" how your symptoms could be so different at different times, but that is good at least that you don't have it all the time and can sometimes do activities that you love!    I am that way too; some days not tachy at all on standing, for instance, and then other days it is real symptomatic.   I think it must be like catching colds maybe; sometimes the body handles it, and sometimes you catch the virus.    I myself, however, find that any additional "stressor" will bring it on consistently, i.e. having a virus, an upset stomach, a lot of pain, etc.   It's almost like that additional circumstance pushes the dysauto over the edge.  That might be the case when you get the exercise-induced arrhythmia at times.   Just I thought, as I certainly am not an expert!   I have read, though, that the symptoms of dysautonomia can vary daily, even from hour to hour, and that is certainly so true, isn't it?  Hopefully your appt will go well - thanks. 

Thanks for the info. I like to hear others people experienced with this crazy stuff. I exercise a lot as this seems to keep everything more in balance. Not sure if it brings my sympathetics down our boosts them cause they are lazy. Either way if my body is sore I feel more normal.