Diagnosed with IST, Autodysfunction...

So, I just paid for a private session, where the doc said, he couldnt exactly say, that what I had was POTS because Im not blacking out, but that I do have IST, and autonomic dysfunction its very reasonable and feasable to think this were his exact words.

Im kinda worried about vasospasms didnt say anything about it though, forgot to, but hes prescribing a low dose beta blocker does anyone know Id read here and it said that beta blockers could worsen them to cause heart attacks.

How is the prognosis with IST.

Hi Josh -

Im sorry I'm not sure about your question and wouldn't want to try to answer such a serious one - not being a physician. 

What im confused about is why the dr you saw couldn't diagnose whether or not you had POTS. You don't necessarily have to be blacking out to have POTS. And based on how variable it is symptoms change from moment to moment. The main criteria for diagnosing POTS is a 30 or > 30 increase in HR within 10 minutes of passive standing on a tilt table test. Some research I have seen indicates this criteria should be relaxed a bit because not all patients will respond within 10 minutes at every testing.

IST and POTS are often seen together. I have both. What was he basing autonomic dysfunction on? IST -  Some people are troubled more than others by heart palpitations and related symptoms. For me, even being on the B blocker I still have symptoms but not as bad - they don't upset me. I just observe they are there and keep doing what I'm doing. My heart is healthy. As far as prognosis there is a good article on Dysautonomia International .org

The low dose beta blocker hopefully will help with the tachycardia. Sometimes it can be tricky to find the one that works but hopefully the first one will do it :) Good luck!!

Kaitlyn

Well Im stuck between a rock and a hard place really, and I could cry I think that the reason that, he didnt diagnose me with POTS was because of what I said the nurse had said about blackouts he seemed to go along with that. Which is weird.

Then he, said its difficult to give you a full POTS diagnosis because you are not passing out then done an active stand test I guess but did not allow me to sit for like 3 minutes was more like a minute. Anyway.

Im in a rock and a hard place, because he wants to prescribe betablockers, Now, I didnt want to self diagnose so I never brought up this issue of prinzmetal angina, but I now think I bloody should have, anyway I have read betablockers are contraindicated for prinzmetals and I feel this is the bigger issues than the IST :/

Now I have emailed him explaining my concerns and we will see what he says. I guess.

Sorry to hear that. I can relate - I often feel that way. For example I take beta blockers for tachycardia but the lower my already low blood pressure which then requires several treatment modalities. 

I have read that the prognosis for print metal angina is good but as to how that relates to beta blockers I don't know.

i can hear your frustration and I feel for you. Hope you can get some answers soon!

hang in there!

kaitlyn