Oxygen saturation

Hi, I am back after some period of non-activity. I hope you are getting better and the things are going in the right direction.

I have a question regarding oxygen saturation. I read the optimum values are 95 to 100. My levels are always lower than that, in the low 90s or close to that number. And that is at rest. I also really struggle with brain fog, lack of concentration and clearly thinking. It's get better then I have a lot of oxygen, like on fresh air. So I wonder if there can be a relation because those two things.

I know in my case they certainly are related.When my o2 has been in the 70's i have seen my handwriting go from clear to scribble as it goes down  as for your pulse oxometer for my own piece of mind periodically i take it with me to any Dr. appointments and have them use theirs on one hand and mine on the other. i have so far never had them be more than one point difference, also no matter what you say the DRs. are usually skeptical but when you check it against theirs they can't  dispute your numbers.when i am having a crisis i take alot of notes again because of brain fog. otherwise i won't remember any thing i am supposed to ask or tell. i have  one that records internally my pulse ox and h.r. I also use my phone to take a picture of it on my finger because i can't believe it when i am walking and h.r. has been as high as 300 only once but often in the 160=190 range, and o2 as low as 70.  A picture makes it more real for the Dr.

i suspect if your numbers are in the low 90's at rest when you are walking most likely your heart rate goes very high and at  some point your o2 starts sinking. i hope you are feeling better soon.

Yes, I am using a fingertip oximeter. I live at an altitude of just over 100 metres, so that shouldn't be a problem. If I start walking or doing some kind of exercise the saturation drops often below 90 with my heart rate jumping of course. I have 94 at best when resting, usually lower like 92 or 93.

Thanks for good wishes.

Mine does this too. The heart rate goes up to increase blood supply that carries oxygen. Low oxygen produces faster heart rate. Altitude for sure makes a difference. I was recently at 7,000 feet. Had to wear oxygen the whole time. FYI, docs don't want the O2 to go below 90. That's when they usually consider oxygen. I don't plan to go above 4,500 feet again, if I can help it. Above that and POTS and MCAS go into full swing. 

Issie

I use a fingertip oximeter and my sats are usually around 94, but regularly drop to 91/90 or 88/89.  I definitely feel a correlation between when they're low and when I feel most symptomatic.  If O2 drops and stays low I can struggle to feel properly conscious and find it hard to speak.  My husband videoed this happening a few years ago, before I was diagnosed and that, along with some suspect MRI results, triggered a full Multiple Sclerosis work up - which was negative of course.

I'm currently trying to find a suitable device to record my overnight hr and sats, so that I can produce records that will show me what's happening during my night episodes, but everything I've tried so far has had some sort of technical hitch/glitch to get over and I've had to give up and try something else.  Next plan is a wrist oximeter with finger probe that can upload data to a laptop.  

My dr said as long as the readings don't stay low for prolonged periods of time then not to worry and also to bear in mind that hypovolemia will affect the accuracy of the readings in extremities.

I also have issues with pulse strength.  When I am so bad that my cognitive functions are really depleted, I find my O2 is low and my pulse strength is all over the place.  The waveform on the oximeter goes from pretty much flatline to massive bounding peaks, then drops down and back up completely randomly.   There's generally a steady rhythm (other than one or two anomalies I always have) but the O2 and pulse waveform are way off.  I videoed this a few times and showed my internal medicine dr, who said it was more about the limitations of the equipment than anything that was going on with me, but I disagree, as I know how much worse I feel when this happens.  I have yet to show the videos to my new EP, but will definitely do so next time I see him and see if he agrees with my old dr.