POTS minus the tachycardia?

CB

Is there a possibility of having POTS without the "tachycardia" associated?

My medical history; Systemic Sclerosis with some Lupus overlap X 15 years.  This includes GI, Pulmonary, severe Raynauds issues.

Currently being worked up since being diagnosed with Disautonomia/POTS 6 weeks ago, via CPET (advanced cardiopulmonary exercise test), and also Spherocytosis.  Waiting for hematology workup at Dana Farber in Boston, and skin biopsy at Mass General.

The one symptom I don't experience is rapid heart rate.  I DO absolutely have massive heart palpitations / pounding 24/7, even when supine.  My heart rate hovers around 70bpm and my bp has always run very low.

Thank you in advance...

By definition, to diagnose POTS, there needs to be a 30 bpm change within 10 minutes from supine to standing, or, tachycardia of 120 bpm or more within 10 minutes of supine to standing. 

However, POTS is only one form of dysautonomia and there are many others. Not having POTS doesn't mean you can't have a dysautonomia diagnosis. 

For information on other types of dysautonomia, you might want to check out our main website. You will find clarifying information there.

Take care,

Katie 

Edited by Katybug
fix grammar

Are your symptoms orthostatic - worse when you are standing? If you have a sustained drop in BP 30 when you stand, that may be another common form of dysautonomia.  The symptoms that people have from POTS/dysautonomia overlap with many other disorders - that's why many of us get misdiagnosed.   A doctor can tell you best, but if you don't have the orthostatic HR and/or BP issues, you may want to look at other illnesses.  Although some people have occasional irregular heartbeats, most people with POTS have normal sinus rhythm.  If you hare having palpitations that is probably something to investigate