Rash Skin Problem In Cold Weather / Exercise

stellaluna

Before severity of symptoms last summer, I was walking nearly every day a few miles. Since ...I have only walked distances a handful of times. Today, I finally mustered the (something) to get out with a walking buddy. It was fairly cold and I my heart rate was ok and I lasted about 15 minutes. Halfway in, I noticed an odd sensation in my thighs--just the skin.

At home, they were itching, burning and slightly painful but mostly it was the itching that was most bothersome. They were entirely red (only thigh-not lower leg or arm/hands), flat not splotchy and not hivey per say. It only lasted about 20 minutes after back in warm house and done walking.

Wondering if this is dyautonomia related or if anyone ever has this weird thing happen in cold weather/ exercising?

Now I guess I'm in the habit of wondering if EVERYTHING is related to POTS...

It happened again--so something going on. I hadn't read about mast cell before. Sounds like there may be some connection for me.. possibly. Explains some other things like occasional wheezing -not with exercise/virus, etc. (and never been diagnosed with asthma).

Thanks katybug.

Dysautonomia is a whole new world for me, and now that I am seeing others and the issues they face, small pieces of the puzzle are coming together, not sure if they all apply to dysautonomia or not, but I have in the past found that extreme cold or heat for long periods of time, and I would get hives....I am now wondering if there is more to it....the cardiologist I a seeing for pots, in my consult had asked me about this, and I was so focused on my high HR, that I didn't think any more on it...extreme stress for long periods of time same thing, hives....always on my face and every joint... Hmmmm

This is the most comprehensive Mast Cell Activation Syndrome paper I've found to date and it is written by the leading MCAS physician in the US. It may take a while to get through it as it is long and technical but it is well worth it. Make sure you click on the links for the Figures and Tables as there is a ton of information in those. If you want a quick hit to start out with, click on Table 1 that is a comprehensive list of signs and symptoms. It's unbelievable.

http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/full/v3/i1/1.htm

Dysautonomia is a whole new world for me, and now that I am seeing others and the issues they face, small pieces of the puzzle are coming together, not sure if they all apply to dysautonomia or not, but I have in the past found that extreme cold or heat for long periods of time, and I would get hives....I am now wondering if there is more to it....the cardiologist I a seeing for pots, in my consult had asked me about this, and I was so focused on my high HR, that I didn't think any more on it...extreme stress for long periods of time same thing, hives....always on my face and every joint... Hmmmm

I know what you mean Faye. Every dr. appt, there is more info I feel I need to share to add to the puzzle to try to find peace or something.

This is the most comprehensive Mast Cell Activation Syndrome paper I've found to date and it is written by the leading MCAS physician in the US. It may take a while to get through it as it is long and technical but it is well worth it. Make sure you click on the links for the Figures and Tables as there is a ton of information in those. If you want a quick hit to start out with, click on Table 1 that is a comprehensive list of signs and symptoms. It's unbelievable.

http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/full/v3/i1/1.htm

Wow.. That is a lot of info to digest and a lot I may have connections to. Sad that I haven't heard about this before but glad to have the information now. Thank you maybe I will take that to my pots dr. next time.

I have cold urticaria. I break out in hives about 12 hours after exercising in the cold. I saw an allergist for this. I have never broken out on my thighs as the areas that are affected with me are only the areas that my skin was exposed to the cold, so my face, neck and sometimes chest. The allergist recommended taking antihistamines, keeping myself covered and gave me an epipen just in case but I've never ad to use it.

Hope they figure things out for you.

Kris

Thanks Kris4444

For some reason, since I started Florninef, I have not felt the need to take my regular allergy med -over the counter (though it is well past the season for outdoor allergens where I live- I still sometimes take it for indoors during winter). I may try taking it again and try an outdoor walk again and see what happens. I walked indoors for about 15min the other day and no symptoms-ofcourse the temperature was fine.

If it keeps up I would speak to an allergist. There are blood tests they can do to see if you have an actual allergy to the cold are there are cryoglobulins (I think that's what they are called) that show up when that specific test is run. I tested positive once and then never again. Story of my life with everything lately lol.

Hope your walk goes well!