Walking Aid Post 2

dm866

Hi everyone. So I have been very unstable on my feet recently due to my POTS, and I really want to ask my doctor to prescribe me some sort of walking aid ( cane/crutches) but I am afraid he will laugh at me and tell me that I am bein ridiculous since I am only 23. Any opinions or advice??

I started using a walker at 20 and that soon progressed to a wheelchair. I was able to have the help of an occupational Therapist to help my Dr understand the need. I also did not have a diagnosis at the time which did make it more complicated but not impossible to get it through insurance. Hope you are able to get the assistance devices you need. God bless!

Have you tried physical therapy? You may need to strengthen some leg and core muscles. If your core muscles are weak you will not be able to stand or walk for a very long time. Talk to your doctor about seeing a physical therapist. If you are not making progress in this area, your PT can determine what walking devices you may need if this is a condition is going to hinder you. How does the mitral condition affect POTS? I don't know anything about this condition. A cardiologist that understands POTS and this symptom should be able to tell you what you need to become more functional.

My son was so bad that he needed a wheelchair. His doctor wrote the prescription and his physical therapist helped us figure out what type of wheelchair he needed. He needed a powered wheel chair because he could not regain upperbody strength. My son's POTS conition was made worse by an underlying autoimmune condition. My son just starting standing and walking a month ago after being down for almost 3 years. He has been doing core strengthing exercises at home for several months but he is going to be starting some Professional physical therapy soon to see how much further he can progress. Our doctor does not know if he can have a full recovery or it he will outgrow his POTS.

Keep your chin up and don't get discourage about walking. POTS is a rollarcoaster ride and you really need a good doctor to help you get through this journey. Don't know if doing physical therapy would help you or not but it might be worth mentioning to your doctor.