Hr Wrist Monitors

stellaluna

I am thinking about purchasing a wrist HR monitor (a few also have BP). I am an active elementary teacher during the day. Normally, I listen to my body warning signs to alert me when I need to slow down and work from a sitting position (I have never passed out thankfully--very worried that will affect my employment if I reach that point).

I'm hoping a wrist monitor (subtly hidden under clothing cuff---also many people wear those step and health bands so may not be so noticeable....) could help me see when i REALLY need to slow down/sit down. I have an arm cuff BP/HR machine but cannot/will not check while teaching and with students present.

My question is--- because there are so many options and such price differences sometimes, does anyone with experience with them have recommendations or ones they did not find helpful / useful for whatever reason?

I just upgraded to polar A300 watch with the polar h7 chest strap hr monitor. Before this i had one made by sportsline it worked just did not have all the features i wanted. I have not been successful using the wrist hr monitors as they cannot catch my hr when my BP is low. My cardiologist also told me to use the chest strap variety because they are more accurate. The Polar h7 is bluetooth enabled so I can also see hr on my phone and do not have to use the watch if I don't want too. Convenient when you don't want to be constantly looking at your watch or doing so would be perceived as inappropriate. Hope you find what works for you.

The Polar brand with chest strap are known to be most accurate. However, I got tired of dealing with the chest strap every day, so I have a Mio Alpha, which measures heart rate via wrist. It works just as well as any chest strap monitor I've used. The only thing is, it's not that small. I like it, though, I think it looks good.

My spouse has used both the fitbit and the garmin activity trackers to keep track of heart rate, and has found those to be accurate as well, regardless of what blood pressure is doing at the time.

Searching as well. I had a chest strap hr wrist monitor. Chest strap was just too tight for my liking. I'm just now trying to get adjusted to wearing a bra again. Lol.I have a wrist cuff for hr and BP. Doc prefers upper arm cuff for accuracy. With being at work Id like to be more discreet and track activity as well per my doc. Keep us posted on your pic and thanks to all for suggestions!!!

I read the posts and just now bought the chest strap,I used my phone to download the app. If you want to buy the watch it was separate at the store I went to. I like the strap idea because I can peek at my phone and no one can see what I am looking at....and small enough that under an outfit not too tight will conceal. I ck against my blood pressure machine, finger monitor, and counted and was happy to see spot on....this will be great for work outs of if out trying to do stuff

I purchased mine through Amazon. Maybe do a search for the A300 watch and it should give you an option to purchase with or without the hr monitor. My problems with inaccuracies in the past was only when my blood pressure was low enough to make me pass out, recording my hr during syncope was most of the reason I purchased it so switched to chest strap instead.

Hi all,

For what it's worth, I have a FitBit Charge HR because I'm always suspicious of my heart rate and wanted an easy, quick way to check it when I thought it might be acting up....I've found that's it's actually surprisingly accurate. It's spot-on with the heart rate monitors on gym equipment and only varies 1-2 bpm at most from my chest strap/Garmin watch combo. It's inexpensive, comes with great app capabilities for Android/iOS and has some neat features like the ability to participate in step challenges with other uses, sleep tracking, etc. Also, it looks like a thin watch, and everybody in the world seems to be wearing a fitness tracker of some sort...

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

I just got a Basis Peak for continuous hr monitoring. I love it! It's a watch, so it's a bit bulkier than the Fitbit, but in my opinion it's pretty good looking. Also the hr monitor is extremely accurate. I saw a study where it is comparable to a chest strap. Another advantage for me over the other options is that the Peak is waterproof and can be worn in the shower and during POTS-friendly swimming. My most frequent near-syncope episodes happen in the shower, so I need to monitor my hr carefully then, and this works great for it. Various amounts of data can be seen on the watch screen, the app, or the web interface, and all data can also be exported. It's also a sleep tracker/analyzer. I did a lot of research before getting the Peak, and I've had it for about 2 weeks and love it.