Can Pots Cause This Kind Of Vertigo?

Debbie Rose

On Sunday I had a bad stomach flu with nausea and diarrhea so I became dehydrated. The next morning when I rolled into sitting position it was like someone pushed me- spun me right out of bed to the left and luckily there was a chair there. The world was spinning from left to right and I had to lean to the left so I wouldn't spin onto the floor. Bending over made it extreme-have bad back that got tweaked so I bent over to grab my ankles and push out and curl my back which works. When I sat up the spinning was so bad I had to hang onto the left arm rail to prevent me from being flung to the floor

I have been forcing fluids all week but with my gastric bypass I am not able to drink quite as much as I should. It is less often but I still spin if I get up too fast or bend over too quickly without a slow rise to standing. Worse still is the spinning I get while in bed. I tend to toss and turn and when I do the vertigo wakes me with the spinning

Has anyone experienced this? Or had an evaluation for it?

Thanks

Debbie

Dehydration, even in a healthy person, can cause vertigo. However, I do have vertigo when I do certain things like bending over and standing back up. I don't know if it's my POTS or my migraine. Neuro says migraines. But, honestly, how can anyone tell where one issue ends and the other begins as this stuff is so intertwined.

I have vertigo as well sometimes it seems more migraine related other times autonomic, but for me it never effects my overall balance it just feels like it should. I have felt that feeling as if you had just been spun around a few times but typically the dizziness/ vertigo stays in my head, so visually it gets annoying to follow people with my eyes as they walk around or turning my head quickly and looking, even bending down makes me feel off balanced but I've never actually fallen over, just felt like I should be.

My daughters deal with vertigo 24/7. I believe theirs is mostly autonomic in origin. They have some extenuating factors, but I believe that viruses in the past have made theirs worse (not just cold viruses, but stomach, too). That being said, sounds like you are improving with the fluids. Can you drink electrolyte water? I feel so sorry for you. The stomach flu is just awful. Hope you feel better soon! :D