Dentist - Worst Day Of The Month!

andybonse

Hey guys,

How is everyone? Not posted in a while :D!

So, today I had to go have a tooth out, which I was very much looking forward to getting out,

it has decay and has an impacted tooth coming out inbetween 2 teeth so once its out,

the other should come through properly, plus the decay gives you bad breath <_<!

Injected me with Mepivacaine plain 3%, no adrenalin, side of cheeks went numb etc as usual, thought it was all good!

Starts pulling and couldn't even get the tooth to budge....hmmm! So then he wanted to drill it down to make it easier or something,

begins drilling, OUCH lol, sensetive and hurt, kept injecting me but no help!

I've had fillings fine before so what the....at my normal dentist I have Lidocaine, without adrenalin and works ok I guess.

Maybe its because of the adrenalin missing? I can tell a difference from when I had it before, maybe I'd be ok having adrenalin in it,

but since getting worse with my Dysautonomia I opt against it, just to be sure.

So now, I am been reffered to a hospital to see what the next step is, he mentioned a General Anastetic. No thank you lol, I am too let's say afraid to have

a general, always been a huge fear of mine, I had it twice in my life, possibly 3, 1 for a hernia at age of 4, 1 for a broke collarbone at 16 and the other as a child for a tooth out I THINK, lol maybe it was a dream.

Anyways, bad day, bad mood and no idea how to go forward, I mean the tooth isn't causing me any distress so I can keep it a little longer hehe!

My gums are killing from all the slices and injections ouch ouch ouch, bled a little for hours too!!!

After the ordeal, the rest of the day I felt really weak and light headed than usual, not felt that bad for a long time....maybe the local? Stress?

- Good points;

Me and my partner have had our baby! He's 6 weeks and hes cute! The nights take a toll but certainly worth it!

POTS - My heart rate never goes up high and I can stay upright all day, probably due to the low dose of florinef as when I try to wean off it, I get worse and get skipped beats etc etc.

*Only thing is, I'm light headed A LOT, its awful. I can press my stomach in really right and i'll feel a lot better until I let go, I am guessing it's pushing blood back up and increasing central pressures? But even though I feel bad, my HR is normal and blood pressure normal. I don't get it and now sure how to proceed, maybe contact my doctor and let him know other symptoms are fine it's just that one?

- Andy :lol:

Fillings require much less numbing than something like an extraction does; it's a lot harder to get a patient numb enough for an extraction, whereas some fillings - especially if they're small - can almost be done without anesthetic entirely.

The reason most dental anesthetics contain epinephrine (adrenaline) is because it helps the anesthetic penetrate into the tissues and block the pain sensations of the nerves much more effectively. So for something like a filling you might not notice that you're not getting anesthetic with adrenaline, but for something like an extraction, it might be almost impossible to get you numb enough using a non-epi anesthetic. Some people respond well to the non-epi alternatives no matter what (mepivacaine/carbocaine etc) but it just doesn't work as well for others.

Are there dentists that practice sedation dentistry where you are? IV sedation (like propofol) can be done in the office, and isn't general anesthesia, but it puts you into a twilight sleep so you don't feel anything. It's what they typically use for wisdom teeth extractions and procedures like colonoscopies. If that's something you have access to, maybe you could check with your dysautonomia doctor and see if that's something that would be OK with your medical issues?

Also, have you considered trying an abdominal binder or a shirt that has abdominal compression built into it? I have the same thing - if I put pressure on my abdomen, sometimes it can dramatically reduce dizziness or help reduce my heart rate. Wearing an abdominal binder or some kind of abdominal compression when that happens can really help (although I'm so sensitive to compression that if I wear it for too long, I get short of breath). Might be worth looking into, though?

I really feel for you. I just had the same thing happen to me a little less than a month ago, with not being able to get numb enough to get a root canal done with non-epi based anesthetic. I had the dentist cap it and am praying that I don't develop pain anytime soon. I don't feel comfortable with even getting propofol because my heart rate and blood pressure fluctuates too greatly throughout the day. Example of today, bp 90/46, 150, 148/82, 81, 101/64, 62. Yeah. like I would even venture for twilight or general... NOT UNLESS I AM DYING.... because I fear dying! And not over a tooth!

I'm not a doctor, and everybody's body is different, that being said, my daughter has had sedation (propofol) three times this year. She has begun to look forward to it as it calms her sympathetic nervous system down. Makes her not as symptomatic for a few days. It's been a positive thing for her.

Btw, congrats on your baby! How sweet!

Andy,

Congratulations on your little baby boy!!

I have no words of wisdom on the dentist as I have a dentist phobia and pray they say they'll knock me out to do any procedures.

But, when you mentioned pulling in your stomach helps with your lightheadedness, it made me think. Have you tried an abdominal binder to see if that helps reduce the lightheadedness? Just a thought. ..

Good luck with the tooth!