Certain Foods Making Your Head Feel Bad?

statesof

Hey so since my POTS symptoms got worse I couldn't not tolerate caffiene in any amount just a few sips of soda would make my brain start to feel badly. Last week I ate a bunch of quinoa, thinking it would be a good healthy thing for me, and for almost a week it had my my brain feel very sensitive and irritated, a bit like how you feel the day after a migraine but different.

Anyway this week I'm noticing my head/ brain just seems very sensitive to different food, ones that are not migraine triggers for me, and ones that typically I can eat with no problem: spinach, green peppers, Brussels sprouts. No idea why, and not sure what's going on, but it seems like the quinoa triggered it; really just feel like my brains feeling irritated (physically not emotionally) and kinda inflamed/ sensitive or something.

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else has had weird experiences like this in the past, thanks.

My brain felt exactly the same way when I was in the hospital when I was initially diagnosed. When they gave me IV infusion of Lactated Ringers Solution it was so soothing and calming to my brain. I described it to the docs as my brain felt like it was getting a bath. The only food I find triggering at this point is pasta. It mentally and physically exhausts me and makes my heart rate increase, makes me dizzy, and gives me blurred vision.

I looked online and the foods you mentioned are all high in potassium and iron. I know too much potassium can be irritating to cardiac cells. Not sure what is going on there, but something to mention to your doc. Or try just avoiding foods that bring on symptoms. I would never venture to even try caffeine. It would probably kill me!

Wow interesting answers.

Kellygirl - I was trying to see if was something with too much of a nutrient, I was actually looking at the iron, potassium, or magnesium. I might try some other foods that have those just to see if there's a correlation.

Katybug - Have you found anything helps when you get the mast cell reaction to foods? Benadryl maybe?

Statesof and Kellygirl - I'm thinking leaky gut. You both are describing a grain as the trigger for migraines. I'm no medical professional, but I am working on my honorary medical degree through my own health problems (ha ha) and the first thought that came to mind is leaky gut. You might google it. I know some of the ways you can help cure leaky gut are L-glutamine supplementation, being careful of what you eat or drink, gelatin (usually mixed with broth). Do either of you have a gluten intolerance or celiac? Often those sensitive to gluten are sensitive to other grains and certain foods that are known to cross-react in those with gluten issues (coffee is the main example here).

Hi statesof,

Yes, benedryl can help calm things for me. There are some foods, like cilantro, that I can feel the reaction starting as soon as it touches my tongue. Other foods, like avocado, I have a much more subtle effects and it took me a long time to figure out what it was. It's very strange how these reactions affect me neurologically. (Not strange for mcas, just a strange feeling.)