Are The Compression Socks Or Sleeves Used By Runners Effective?

Saw the doc this AM and she still feels I have POTS or some sort of dysautonomia. In addition to some other things, she recommended I try compression socks. I was thinking of buying some of the compression socks and/or sleeves that runners use at least for the times I'm doing something in public like biking or hiking. I can do the more medical looking type when I'm hanging out at home or wearing jeans around in public. Are the socks/sleeves that runners use appropriate? Doc said get 15-30 PSI. Looks like the socks are rated by mmHG, which I assume is a similar measure for pressure. Also, do the sleeves even work? Looks like the sleeves cover from above the ankle to below the knee. Would be easier in terms of stinky feet, but I wonder if they are less effective.

Here are some examples:

SOCKS: http://www.amazon.com/Compression-performance-recovery-Graduated-compression/dp/B013XL41RU/ref=sr_1_27?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1441029156&sr=1-27-spons&keywords=20mm+compression+sock

SLEEVES: http://www.amazon.com/Gabor-Fitness-Graduated-20-25mmHg-Compression/dp/B00ZSZODR8/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1441030132&sr=1-2&keywords=20mmhg+calf+sleeve

Hi fitnesskelly,

I haven't tried this type of compression myself, but I know members in the past have said they found them to be effective.

Also, just a heads up, some of us have had to play around with which compression items and at what pressure have worked the best for us. I personally got "medium" compression on my doc's recommendation originally, but they make me nauseous if I try to wear them. It's too much. But, I find that light compression works for me. I have EDS and my veins collapse easily so I would imagine that is why I have this issue but since compression wear is an investment, I try to only buy 1 item and only from online sources that have good return policies in case they don't work out.

Also, if you Google compression socks, there are lots of sites that sell them and there are many different styles. I was surprised because most that are available locally look like thick unpleasant panty hose material. But I have found socks that are knee highs but are more cotton like and made like athletic socks which work a lot better for me in my tennis shoes and boots for the barn. You might be able to find alternatives that will work for your activities.

I bought a pair of CEP compression socks from a local running store. I knew if I chose that store, I would get someone knowledgeable about the "technology". I'm wearing them now and I really like them.

FYI, in case anyone ever looks at this thread for help: It doesn't sound like the compression sleeves will work as effectively as the socks. Get the socks.