Help, Daughter Having Acute Vertigo - Worse Than Normal

DizzyGirls

I'll make this quick, it's 2 a.m. My daughter is having more severe vertigo than she normally does. She's got a severe headache (already took a migraine pill, no help) and here eyes are tracking back and forth in her head. She can't control them. She already takes diazepam for the vertigo and it usually keeps it under control. The fog came in early this evening and I think that's giving her problems, too. I know several of you battle vertigo, too. What do you do in a crisis? I was hoping to pool some suggestions in case there was something that I hadn't thought of. Thank you for your help!

I have something called nystagmus, repetitive eye movements which can be horizontal, vertical, or or rotational. If it last more than a few seconds it gives me vertigo. I know this doesn't help the acute situation but it might be another lead to track down to see if that helps determine an underlying issue. Video tape the eye movements if you can so a doctor can see them since its involuntary and can't be shown on demand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystagmus

Thanks Katybug! I believe that her doctor said she has horizontal nystagmus. I know when it gets really bad that her eyes just dart back and forth (when they are closed) and it makes it extremely hard to settle down and sleep. She finally fell asleep last night, hoping that it will be better today. Poor thing is just hanging on by a thread. Not sure how we are ever going to wait until November for our appointment at Stanford. Ugghh!

Hey DizzyGirls, I've had various spells of vertigo both migraine and POTS related as well as some of the nystagmus you mentioned. Unfortunately I have not found a way to make the vertigo better I typically have to just lie down and let it come down on its own, usually in my experience it becomes less intense after a few days, but at times it can be a little grueling.

In the long run you might look at physical therapy for vertigo, my brother just completed this, he had an inner ear thing that was causing him bad vertigo episodes that would basically make him feel sick and have to lie down. It has helped him a lot but there are still daily 10-20 minute exercises he does weekly, I'm actually going to try them myself just to see if it helps me as well.

Thanks everybody for your kind words and suggestions! Took her to the ER that next day, and, because of everything she takes already, all they could give her was some Benadryl. I was a little miffed at the lack of help, but, I'll have to tell you, it is helping. Not immensely, but some. Right now, we'll take it. I was able to get her an appointment with her neurologist at UCSF next week, and hoping that he doesn't gloss over this and is able to give her some medicine or switch around the ones she has in order to keep this under control. So frustrating!! I will keep in mind the eye exercises, too, as we may need them also! It is really hard to tell if this is caused by her POTS, migraines or something as simple as allergies. Her neurologist's nurse mentioned some new medicines lately in the treatment of POTS, so at least this is on their minds. Could be good timing. I'll give an update after her appointment. Thank you all for being there!!