Extremely Cold Often! (Especially Hands, Nose And Feet)???

Hey y'all,

So I haven't posted recently as I was in the midst of moving back home to NC (YAY!!) And am getting ready to start my job with City Year (Americorps) in a new location. My most noticeable symptoms recently have been hypersensitivity to cold, continued fast heartrate issues even though I honestly am so used to the weirdness I hardly notice it anymore, and constant allergic reactions to stuff (most frequently in the form of contact allergies). The coldness always happens when I'm in AC - I know that's weird, usually people are heat sensitive, which I def do experience in terms of my heartrate, but I am cold ALL THE TIME!! I say it to my family and they take it jokingly, as I usually am sarcastic about it, but it is legit ALL THE TIME if I'm not in warm weather. It has been extraordinarily hot here in in NC for the past month and it feels pretty amazing to me.

Does anyone else experience this? Even writing this post right now my nose is numb and feels like I've been outside in the cold for the past hour and I'm laying under 3 blankets in bed lol.

Also in regards to allergies, I had an asthma attack related to allergies for the first time on the day of my graduation; I just drove past someone mowing grass on the side of the road and within 5 minutes couldn't stop coughing and could barely breathe. Luckily I was with my mom who is a physician and she told me to use my inhaler and take a benadryl - thank goodness I had both - and was fine within about 20 min. But that's the first time I've ever had that happen...

Anywho, I'm looking into getting a new primary care person as the one I have had since I was little is primarily a family medicine person. I'd prefer to go to someone who focuses on adults, and I'm hoping a fresh ear to listen to all these weird but frequent issues I've had will help out some :)

Thanks and hope y'all are doing well!

Stay cool in the heat (but not too cold :P)

Sarah

Hi there NC! Great to hear from you! Glad that you are home with your family and congrats on the new position, that's always nice to hear!

I am sorry however that you experienced a rather scary situation the other day, fortunately your quick fix worked well for you. I'm sure some of the other members will be able to offer some of their experiences regarding allergies with you, but I wanted to let you know I often have cold extremities too! (Really difficult heat intolerance also, though!) My hands and feet become so cold because of my Iron deficiency Anemia. Here's a link from Mayo: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/symptoms/con-20019327 I know in my case, the most common labs that ordered have been pretty routine, CBC, Iron + TIBC, Retic Count and Ferritin.

Do you have blood pooling or Neuropathy? Best of luck with your primary search, I know its exhausting looking for a new doctor. Does your current doctor maybe have some suggestions for you? That may be a good place to start. Take care of yourself, hope you are well! Sarah :)

Hi Sarah,

I'm like you- really sensitive to cold. I know it's unusual among most people here on the forum. Two summers ago, I spent some time in Maryland in July and braced myself for heat intolerance- but no, it just makes me feel much better. I also have what I think may be either allergies or mast cell issues, so I wonder if there's some connection?

Enjoy the summer!

Targs

I am extremely heat intolerant. However, I will have spells where I become very weak, extremely fatigued, and extremely cold. The only thing that helps to warm up is sleep. I walkways feel at these moments like I will fall asleep, even standing up, no matter how hard I fight it. I go to sleep with several layers of blankets, hats, gloves, scarves. I will wake 2-3 hours later and have to throw all the blankets and clothes off. It is strange and I think, in my instance, it is mast cell driven or some mild form of cataplexy.

I also can't stand to have a draft around my neck. Hot or cold, it makes me very uncomfortable.

Hope you get it figured out.

Katie

I understand this very much! I work in a bank and my coworkers love putting the AC on even in the winter (and I live in Buffalo NY). Every day my hands and my nose are ice cubes! I thought it was just me but its nice to know that its because of my POTS. But it could be the middle of summer and I'm in jeans and a long sleeve because I get way too cold and then I can't think and it effects how I do my job and interact with my clients as a banker.

Does anyone else get tingles and does your hands go numb sometimes? My hands tingle more than go numb especially when I'm cold. Its a very weird sensation.