Osteopenia/osteoporosis Treatment

Hi folks,

I was sent for a DEXA scan because of my medications, particularly the prednisone and fludrocortisone but there are others that cause bone loss. And, of course, I have osteopenia and am bordering on osteoporosis. Is anyone else being treated for this and how has it needed to be managed based on your tachycardia? I am concerned about the effects that osteopenia treatment can have on calcium and electrolytes. My immunologist, who sent me for the scan, wants me to see an endocrinologist for managing this since I have several major health concerns that need to be considered when we decide how to treat this particular issue. I'm hoping I can get the endo to consult with my pots neuro or cardio, and my hematologist because I feel like this is getting more complicated than I can manage. I'm sure there's no research that has my exact combo of diagnoses and meds that can clarify this situation. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I am also sorry you're having to deal with this Katie. All of these issues can get so complicated and overwhelming. I hope your doctor can come up with a successful treatment plan for you.

Sorry to hear this Katie. As I was diagnosed with early menopause in my very early 30's I had a DEXA as well and needed to be on bone growing supplements (on prescription). For some reason I can't remember I stopped them. I also can't remember what I actually took. Coming to think of this won't help you much, sorry!

Sorry this is happening Katie. I just had a bone scan too but I am still at 70% so no treatment yet. I wanted to say that if you are on PPI meds/stomach meds that they can really reduce your b12 which can contribute to osteopenia and such. Just something to be aware of because mine were becoming depleted because of this. I hope you find some answers.

• 3 weeks later...