Hot Weather Survival

Although I'm thrilled that the snow has finally melted here in New England, as usual, I find I'm dreading the start of warm weather. It makes everything worse! Migraines, POTS, hypotension, and on top of it all, in the last two years, I've developed hypohidrosis...I no longer sweat enough in the heat so I'm always overheated.

I know I'm not alone in this dread of summer. I'm curious about sharing our tips on surviving the warm weather. Here are some of the things I do.

• Smoothies and homemade popsicles. Got a popsicle mold at Target. I try to do as much prep in advance as I can for quicker smoothie making, e.g. I get a bunch of bananas and cut them up and freeze them for the week, puree & strain berries and keep them in tupperware in the fridge, sometimes I make pureed ginger root "ice cubes" too.
  • Cooking in the morning, and spread out over a few days (I have to make most of my food from scratch due to gastroparesis).
  • Carry a water spray bottle to mist myself when I get overheated.
  • Hats! Lots of hats to keep the sun off my head and face. I'm thinking of buying a cooling hat this year.
  • I finally broke down and got a rollator earlier this month. I know it'll help to have a place to sit whenever I need it when I'm out and I get hit with a wave of exhaustion or pre-syncope.
  • A clip on UV blocking beach umbrella for my tiny little porch so I can sit outside without baking in the sun.
  • Lots and lots of rest breaks.

I became so flustered that I made my own discrete cooling devise that can be worn under clothing in an classy way ...no bulk or fear of freezer burn on the skin. It is still in prototype phase but once I make the final revisions I can give you instructions on how to make one yourself using dollar tree products.

Thanks Corina!

Sunshinegirl, I'm about there myself, my occupational therapist and I were brainstorming about how hard it would be to make a tank top out of a cooling towel. But I'm not very skilled with the sewing machine...which my sister has anyhow. So yes, I'm definitely interested!

Ok Ladies and Gents... I will tell you about my invention if you promise to not patent it and try to profit off of it. I do not intend to profit off of it but donate the concept to our community. It requires no sewing or being wet and is based on cooling large arteries. If you want my idea then write me a private note.