Recurring Staph Infections

Tuesday

I've just been diagnosed with my third staph infection in three years. The first two were on the surface of my skin, but this time it's in my lymph nodes. I'll be on antibiotics for a month. And unfortunately I'm allergic to the antibiotic that works best on staph, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that this one does the job, otherwise I'm looking at having to have them drained (I've already been through that once and I'm not looking forward to dealing with another open wound ever again).

Has anyone else here dealt with multiple staph infections? I'm wondering if being on Fludrocortisone is weakening my immune system too much. In the side effects it states that it can lead to greater susceptibility to bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic infections. In the last three years I have dealt with a whole host of other infections, too. I'm taking about .1 mg of Fludrocortisone daily (dose varies from .1 to .15 mg daily depending on my symptoms).

I've been on Fludrocortisone on and off for years, and it's been the only thing to keep my BP and heart rate in check. I just hope it's not at the cost of easier susceptibility to infection.

I'm going to follow up with my cardiologist at my next appointment, but I wanted to see if anyone else has been through something similar?

I just started treatment with a herbalist he did a saliva test and staph infection, parasites came back positive, I have sore throats on and off a lot. I have a number of auto immune problems already, I am on Florinef as well and I teach children so this term I have caught numerous viruses which I think may be down to my immune issues which are made worse by the Florinef.

It too has helped with my BP and HR but not as much as the Dr hoped when I saw him last week.

Hope you get some good advice at your appointment

Have you had your immunoglobulin levels checked? (IgA, IgG, IgG subclasses, etc.) This would help verify if your immune system is strong and functioning properly. Docs can also order vaccine challenge test for the pneumonia vaccine to see if your body produces antibodies properly in reaction to the vaccine.

• 1 month later...

Three weeks into the antibiotic (Minocycline) and I had an allergic reaction. Staph is back. I've got another appt with my doctor and an appt with my cardiologist tomorrow to see if there is any other option for me other than Fludrocortisone. I think that my immune system is just too weak to consider staying on it.