My Allergist On Mast Cell Activation Disorder

My allergy symptoms have been pretty intense when pollens are up, especially between my Singulair doses. I have very little classic sniffle-type symptoms, but more adrenaline spiking, stomach churning, tachycardia, some blood pressure spikes, and now face/head flushing and at times, swollen esophagus. I saw my allergist because Singulair is supposed to be taken every 24 hours but symptoms can break through as early as 16 hours. He acknowledged my symptoms as being "odd" and suggested I take it more often, up to 12 hours each dose if I need it. I asked him about MCAS but he said that if my POTS is well-established, he wouldn't see a need to seek a diagnosis. What do you think?

What? I think that's weird. Mast cell needs to be treated for what it is. Why would he not want to establish the etiology of the POTS??? You cannot treat rogue immune cells with salt water and compression hose! I have read that others totally rely on H1 and H2 blockers. This is a disease that causes POTS...so treat it at the source. My humble and uneducated opinion is to get a new allergist asap. My allergist is all over it. I don't think this Doctor is very wise. Do no harm....it is harmful to not treat the main component of a disease. Its like saying...yeah, you may have a broken bone causing excruciating pain but you don't need it set in a cast...you just need to take tons of pain pills and let your arm dangle off your body. That's just the way I see it. I could be wrong...but I don't think so this time.

You're totally right Sunshinegirl.

I get the impression that the doctor is not comfortable with diagnosing it.

There is no question that for some it is a comorbid condition. I am not convinced that we understand why. The perspective seams to establish the position for both doctors and patients.

You may have to continue your search, but I would suggest and honest and frank conversation with the doctor that you have first.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone, first, I'm going to circle back to my cardiologist who wanted to know if my POTS is flared up by anything other than my hormone cycle (I can't say that it isn't right now, but I have not had tachycardia since last summer - during allergy season). I have also contacted Dr. Cem Akin's office to see if he can recommend an immunologist out where I live. Depending on whether I get a lead from Dr. Akin's office, I'll follow up with my current allergist to pursue the mast cell activation route in 2 weeks. I have not had luck joining mastocytosis groups or forums to get doctors lists (it seems TMSforacure is no longer staffing support groups) so I figured I should just call up the leading experts to see if I can get any help! :) I'll keep you posted with any progress.