Has Anyone Experienced A Sort Of 'remission' Of Pots, Only To Have It Return?

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has had POTS or dysautonomia go away for a period of time and then come back?

I'll try to make a long story short: I was diagnosed with POTS in 2008, prescribed Midodrine 3 times a day, increase fluids & salt etc. I responded well and in 2010 weaned myself off medication. Became extremely active, played softball and did Crossfit.

I sustained many injuries over the past few years, torn calf muscle, shattered clavicle, but I recovered fairly well and life went on. In late 2013 I fell off a pull up bar while doing Kipping pull ups and landed on my back. I still have back pain, I have 3 bulging discs in my neck, now I possibley have TMJ, I'm going through early menopause, and I went from hypotension to hypertension and my Tachycardia came back. POTS is back but my cardiologist couldn't put me back on Midodrine (obviously), so he put me on a beta blocker and is referring me to a neurosurgeon for my neck.

It's difficult going from being super active to not being able to do a fraction of what I used to do. I did read that injuries, trauma, & stressors can induce symptoms again, I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through a period of time of being symptom free?

Sorry I was unsuccessful at making this short!

I had terrible POTS as a child... they did not know what it was but in hindsight, it has all become very clear. I did pretty well for a while but it was never fully gone. After sustaining a head and neck injury, it was back full blown. Pregnancy changed things twice...I think because mine is related to immune issues. The "pain cycle" seems to be HUGE for me. If I can get the pain to stop cycling, my body produces less stress chemicals, my heart gets a break, and things flow better back up to my head. That's the "science" of it in lay persons terms. Im sure others could more adequate labels on it without having to do more research.

Hope that helps

Sunshinegirl, that helps, thank you for your reply! Pain is a huge factor for me too. I tend to over do it, in everything, but as I get older (I'm 45), I recover slower. My pain management Dr. keeps telling me "you're not 25 anymore, accept it and move on". I just wanna punch her! :)

Badhbt, 10 years is a nice break! How are the symptoms when you had your relapse? Same, worse? I'm in the same boat, as I don't think I'll be able to join a workout program anytime soon! I do however believe that if/when I get to a pain free point, I could exercise again and it would help alleviate some symptoms.

I'm curious as to how many actually have long remissions and what factors contribute to being symptom free. I know it's different for everyone.