Just Not My Week...

Becia

So, I've been busy lately. Had major surgery last Thursday (2/26) to extract 27 teeth, to start off with. This was done at the request of my cardiologists, and the dentists i used saw no way of restoring them, so out they went. While dramatic and majorly life changing, it had to be done really, for my health. I saw the infections, had a very active abcess going into it, and they were falling apart. Being the POTSy and EDSer I am, my recovery has been the pace of a turtle stuck in molasses, but it's getting there. And a bonus, according to one of the dental crew, I'm gonna have a nice smile when I get my teeth, which is something I've never had before. All dental work I've had done, I've felt, because I don't numb well at all. Well, this time, they admitted me to the hospital to do it, under general, to make sure I didnt.

I've been in bed pretty much every since. While laying, my heart has been hovering 130 or so. Moment I get going upward, we are climbing ever so high... One time I remember seeing 179 on my monitor, then out I go. I've currently got no standing tolerance, just a sitting one of 3 minutes, and thats with feet up. Oh joy! On top of the physical stresses of surgery and medications, I also have a horrible infection, and the medication I'm on for that, I'm allergic. So double whammy there...

One thing that has been a lifesaver in all of this, is my PICC line. My every other day liter of fluids has saved my stomach for food, since it doesn't empty right (testing for that to happen on the 19th), helped push the bad stuff outta me, and kept me coherent, rather than a passed out syncope mess. Home health has even come out and started my ivs for me since Saturday, which has been a big help.

Well...PICC line came out of me today. My mouth has been swollen, so I've been icing it a lot, and I take an ice pack to bed with me. I thought I was strong enough to go do it myself tonight, to secure that, my ice water, and a pudding cup for taking meds in middle of night (take with foods, lessens nausea). I tell my friends thwt I'm with "I'm okay, go ahead to bed". Guess I wasn't ok. Felt syncope coming, grabbed a chair so I could kick feet up and lean on until it passes, and I guess somehow I snagged my line. Now, lately, the dressings for it have changed,and they aren't that good, and I had to patch this one to make sure it was closed over right... Guess it came off, because when I came too, I began getting my bearings and noticed extra purple line showing. Thought maybe my extension had come undone...nope, the entire line had.

Panicked, applied pressure, screamed for my friends, and we all started calling. Ended up going to ER for X-ray to make sure the entire line came out (which they still aren't sure, lovely), dress my hole, and now gotta call doc and PICC team in the morning. And it's a treatment day too! Oh my gosh, I'm just beside myself.

Friend picks me up, we slide home through all the snow and ice we got (and technically we could have been arrested for being out, but I begged a police officer to not do so, he was cool with it), he can't get his car into gear to get into the garage, so he grabbed an extra wheelchair we had, wheels me over to the house entrance where mine was, hauls me up to mine (stairs are a no don't think so with the body right now), and he's running through the house to make sure I get to bed before I pass out again... Only for me to throw myself to my bed and my hip comes out of place. If I had teeth, I'm sure I would have bit my lip.

So, Im symptomatic, need medications, dislocated, toothless, and PICC less... I'm cursing myself up a storm, and my friends the darling he is, brings me a bag of ice for my mouth, and a pudding cup. I guess when all else fails, there's always pudding. And it's banana cream, good stuff.

Hips just gonna stay out of place, I gotta call doctors tomorrow and see about how to go about another PICC. Not looking to how much that hurts again, but the fluids do so much good for me, I hate to go too long without.

So...how yall?

Goodness. What an adventure. That is no shortage of challenges for such a short period of time. I am almost speechless. It does "sound" like your spirits are up, and that you have a good attitude about it all.

It looks like you are taking the right approach. One thing at a time to get it all back in order. I would feel like Humpty Dumpty (sp?).

I am happy to hear that you have a friend that is helpful. We should be thankful for those uncommon common graces.

It is too bad that we did not all live closer.

Keep your head up, be smart, and get it put back together. And get that nervous system out of sympathetic overdrive.

I am doing so so. Coming out of a flare (I hope), so I am encouraged at the moment. It is nice, and I always look forward to that bit of relief.

I was laying in the ER waiting on my friend to come get me and chatting with the nurse, as she's seen me several times, and we said the same thing,.. It's like a cast of follies of what else can happen. Get home, throw out my hip, and I guess I had my answer. It really was the topper for a very odd day.

I'm trying to get back to my baseline, so I can go back to my apartment. I had hoped maybe today or tomorrow, but I can see thwt won't be happening.

I can't wait for baseline again. But someone pointed out, even thought I'm struggling, I have been more aware of what's going on, which is good. Normally I'm not, but staying in bed with feet up has helped.

Becia

You are doing a really great job handling this, Please promise you'll be kinder to yourself and cut yourself some slack. Anyway,I think by staying at D & L's that you at will making a tough decision but one that will pay off I the long run.. They know you, they know your dr.'s, they know your situations. They "get" you. Be kind to yourself, dome some baking with Lori, crochet, Just do some relaxing things that make you happy!

This is something that you did for YOU. No one can take it away from you. I am so proud of the inner strength that you found and I know your going to get through this. You've got a lot of people behind you, myself included. , I'm always here to listen. You are in my thoughts and Im always hoping your doing okay. I found this quote a while back and I wanted to save it for something very important: "Some people think that to be strong is to never feel pain; when in reality, The ones who get it, are the ones who understand it and accept."

You'll get through this Becia!! :)

Sarah

I so almost called you last night Sarah!! Even D mentioned "do I need to get that blonde chick back on the phone, she seems to know how you feel better than I do" on the drive (or the slide) home.

I just got off the phone with the PICC team, contacted my doctor to send the new order and info over to the schedulers, and if I can have all arranged by 12, they can fit me in this afternoon for a new line. If not, it will be at least Monday. Guess eating was nice while it lasted, because If it doesn't happen today, I'm gonna be pounding salty drinks and water, which means no place for food (gasp, no pudding!!!!)

We at least are not at a level to get arrested at now with the weather.

I'm taking a nap. I just had a call I thought was from the doctors office, and it was one of those spam "you won!" calls...said I won w sunny cruise for me and my guest. I wish!

Got my PICC line just reinstalled, and they moved it to my left arm. My right arm, upon ultrasound, seems to have w blood clot, and the line just merely had worked its way out. They (the PICC tewm) are going to push for me to have a port implanted. While I'm one of the few they have thwt never had issues with her line other than this one, the fact I'm doing this all long term, port would be better, and they have some major pull with the surgeons here in getting them in. So the ones who told me they won't do them because they want to know when they come out, and mine will be in longer than usual, they may just not have a choice but to install one.

Gotta have an ultrasound to verify blood clot, and if so, that treatment. Woohoo.

BUT, after I got done having this new line placed, I got the bestnice cream I've had in a long time, lol. My friend who drove me found w Coldstone creamery place, and hello chocolate ice cream! Tastes so good and felt so good.

Becias ready for a nap. How's about it yall.