Blood Volume Test

Always hoping

Has anyone had the whole blood volume test completed? I'm curious to know what the test entails. I only know that it is a nuclear medicine test and they said I would be there for about an hour and a 1/2. I guess my concern is that there will be multiple tubes of blood taken over this period and then I will have even less in me.... And then see the floor! Lol

If approved by my insurance, I have it scheduled for February 24th.

Thanks!

I understand the concern but It will be OK. I had it done twice. Once showing mildly reduced blood volume and the next time showed moderately reduced. The second time was not pleasant as they had trouble drawing the blood at each interval and had to tug and pull on the IV. But good information to have!

The BV isn't too bad.. you;ll get through it. You lay there and the tech's and nusrse's make you as comfortable possible. A tracer is injected and every 5 minutes they take a blood sample. It sounds like a lot but it isn't, really. You'll be okay :rolleyes:

I've had two also, are you going to the Cleveland Clinic for them?

I've had the blood volume test at the Cleveland Clinic, along with the hemodynamic test done at the same time. The hemodynamic test measures the function of the heart and circulation. I attached a couple of handouts they gave me explaining the procedures below.

Blood Volume Test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl5bt75efw2z56v/What%20You%20Need%20to%20Know%20About%20the%20Blood%20Volume%20Test.pdf?dl=0

Hemodynamic Test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh5g8bvoiam26e9/What%20You%20Need%20to%20Know%20About%20the%20Hemodynamic%20Test.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the info!

Due to one of the posts on this forum that talked about this, I found out that my local hospital has one if the 5 machines in PA needed for this test. I brought the info to my primary MD (who is learning lots of new things about POTS with me!) and we got it scheduled. I will have to talk to her about this second test too.

Thank you all! I've learned more here with all of you than from any doctor. My primary MD thanks you too ... I often start a sentence to her with - "I saw in the DINET forum..." Lol