Colonoscopy Help!!

angelloz

Hello All, My mother passed away from colon cancer and since I am having some bowel problems I must have a colonoscopy. I have scary problems with medications and have not been sedated since my autonomic problems began. Has anyone out there had this test done. Any tips, advice, or other information about your experience would be great!

Hi angelloz, yep ive had a few of em. Drinking the prep and dealing with the head was my prob. I managed it but u do feel very dehydrated. I would advise being admitted overnight while u have bowel prep, then ur there for procedure next day.

I've had a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time. Because my GI was aware of my pots, he had me drink a 32 oz. Gatorade during the hour before I started the prep (in addition to telling me to drink as much as a could in the 2 days before that.) He also had me scheduled as the 1st procedure in the morning and had them hook me up to an iv asap upon my arrival. They also kept me on the iv for an extra bag from what they normally give people. Other than finding the prep disgusting taste-wise, I didn't have any issues at all including the anesthesia.

I've also had much heavier anesthesia last summer for my neurosurgery on my neck. I did just fine with that too.

I really think everyone is different and in these instances we just have to do the best we can to hydrate, and then just take it as it comes. Good luck on your procedure.