Could My Daughter Have Pots Too? How Young Is Too Young?

Two weeks ago, my 11 year old daughter was standing as I was straightening her hair. She kept blinking her eyes and said everything was fuzzy. I brushed it off as maybe the hair spray getting in her eyes. She then said her stomach hurt (her stomach seems to hurt a lot especially when standing too long) so I had her sit so I could finish her hair. About 3-4 minutes later, she said her eyes were fuzzy again, and I looked down and her face was pale and she had almost no color in her lips. Stupid, I know, but I quickly had her get up and guided her to my bed where I laid her down and put her feet up. Within seconds, her color started coming back.

A couple minutes later I checked her blood pressure and it was 85/55ish. She had just started some medication for reflux and is starting puberty so I brushed the almost fainting episode off as one of those two things.

Fast forward to today...I was upstairs and my daughter came up (just one flight -13 steps) and hugged me and I could feel her heart just pounding. I put my heart monitor on her and her heart rate was 170!! So I checked her resting rate - it is in the 90's. When she stood up it went up to 120's, but then I had her continue to stand for 5 minutes and it slowly increased into the 140's - just standing there - no talking or swinging her arms.

I'm going to make an apppointment with her pediatrician, but I'm very scared that she has POTS too.

Any thoughts?

My son was diagnosed with POTS when he was 11 by a peds, cardiologist. Sounds like a possible gentic deal.

One anti acid med I tried caused a major POTS flare. So could be med connected.

I've had POTS since I was younger than her. Can be genetic connections and also something passed on. Majority of my family has some sort of autonomic nervous system dysfunction. With me, looking into the immune system and inflammation has been my best solutions.

Issie

My 12 yr old child is showing some mild symptoms. It does concern me too. I also had mild symptoms as a teen and into my 20's. So did one of my sisters. In my sister's case, it has never gone beyond very mild, whereas I have had major, disabling symptoms (in my 30s mainly). I do think there is a very wide range of symptoms -- this condition manifests so differently in different people. Also fortunately we know so much more now that we did 30 yrs ago and I think this trend will likely continue. So I feel pretty hopeful for the next generation of POTS patients!

I had my pediatrician do a "poor man's tilt table test" on my son when he was in his early teens due to what I was afraid were POTS symptoms. He took his BP and pulse after having him lay down for 15 minutes and then the same with sitting and standing. The variation wasn't alarming. The doctor said that during adolescents, especially a growth spurt, symptoms similar to POTS

are common. My son is a perfectly normal adult now. Hopefully the things you are seeing turn out to be "normal".