Dentistry

andybonse

I also get the non-epi injection. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to take a while to wear off--longer than the dentist predicted. Maybe because of low blood volume?

I had a severe reaction to the epi injection, and a moderate reaction to some topical numbing stuff they put on my gums and tongue before they did the injection. Now I get the non-epi shot only, no numbing beforehand. I seem to do ok with this.

I get the non-epinephrine injection as well. It's the only way— the shot with epi makes me shaky, tachy, and nauseas. I have had problems with the non-epi shots wearing off too quickly and cannot have multiple procedures done at once or they reach the max dosage and have to finish up without numbing. However, I think this is because I'm resistant to many numbing and pain relieving drugs, and not that the drug itself wears off quicker.

I get the non-epi shot too. Its funny, but a few years before POTS, it occurred to me to ask the dentist if it could be that the shot I was getting made me feel like my heart was beating too fast. I had always thought that I was just too worked up about going to the dentist. When he told me that I was probably sensitive to the epinephrine and switched to the other shot, I felt like I had discovered America! Suddenly, having a filling didn't mean feeling jittery all day! The rest of my POTS did not come out till years later....I still wonder if this is a coincidence, or if it was a pre-POTs symptom...

But anyway, I do fine with the epi -free shot. According to the dentist, it wears off more quickly, so you may need a second shot if the procedure takes a while. But other than that, no issues.

Good luck.