What Is Writing Dyslexia?

sue1234

I'm getting a little worried. In the last few months when I am typing on my computer, I will occasionally type a word with all the correct letters, but in the wrong order. I mean, everytime I might type something on a forum, I most likely will do this at least once. When I do this, I am typing fairly quickly, so it amazes me how I can spell it correctly with all the correct letters, just in the wrong order. I realize it is wrong immediately after I type it, so just back up and correct it. Does anybody have any idea what it might be called or what medical terms I can look up to kind of get an idea what's going on? I've read about dyslexia, but that is more in the reading/comprehension of words, and that's not my problem. I also read about dysphasia, and it's common types, but those are more verbal issues, or jumbled words that aren't spelled correctly. So, I don't really know what my issue is and want to read something up on it.

Sue,

I experienced the same phenomenon as one of the first things I started to notice going wrong. When I finally got my POTS dx, I asked the POTS neuro about it because my thinking was that it would be odd for an adult to suddenly develop dyslexia (which can involve writing letters in the wrong order as my college roommate was dyslexic and this was one of her struggles.) The doc said he hears this complaint often and attributes it to the cerebral perfusion we experience. He said its another cognitive function issue. He didn't give me a specific name for it other than that it is not dyslexia.

I agree. I find the cognitive symptoms to be the most bothersome emotionally. I used to manage over 200 employees during the holidays and I would know each of you their names just from the interview. Now I'm lucky if I can remember one new person's name if I've heard it several times. And if someone interupts me when I'm trying to get a thought out, it's gone forever unless they can prompt me with very specific information. I've had neurophych testing to ensure there is no chance of early dementia or Alzheimer's. According to that testing I'm fine...in fact, above average. But of course they have no way of comparison g it to your healthy self....just to the other masses of people in your age group that they used to come up with an average. I remember thinking "I wonder how much better I'd score if we could do the same tests lying down?" I had this testing done before I was dx'ed with POTS.

I have the exact same thing! I've been experiencing this for years now. I had the neuro-cognitive testing also and though I'm very relieved to know that there aren't any signs of Alzheimer's, my testing came back quite poorly and way beyond what was expected due to education etc. I re-did the testing a few years ago and found that things hadn't improved (unfortunately got a little worse). I do feel emotional about it, I've lost many skills, it changed me but other than trying my utmost to keep up with things there's nothing I can do than somehow accept it. I'm very sorry you are experiencing this too Sue and Katie.

Oh, you were good. I could never have remembered near that many names back in my normal days! But I hear you on wondering about pre-Alzheimers. I have two copper gene SNPs that predispose someone to Alzheimers. I found them when searching through my 23andme data for Wilson's disease genes. I do not have the genes for Wilson's, but those two SNPs show that I tend to have a tendency toward high free copper. So, I ordered my own copper blood tests, and low and behold, I had high free copper! 2 out of 3 times tested! But what do you do? I brought it up to my GP, but he kind of pushed the topic to the side, so as to not address it. To be fair to him, I casually mentioned it and did NOT disclose that I had self-tested. I don't have any family history of Alzheimers, so don't REALLY think that's why my memory is so bad...just think it is like you said, a cerebral perfusion issue in general.

Did you run your genome?

Sorry to hear I'm in good company, ladies. I will say that I find that playing "brain"games of any kind seems to help me. It certainly hasn't corrected the whole problem but if I go a few days without playing these games on my phone or online, I can feel my brain getting sluggish. It really feels like a use it or lose it situation. Even something like Candy Crush that makes you think about spatial relationships and strategy helps me. I also do crosswords, word search puzzles, memory tiles...anything I can find to stimulate the old brain cells. But I still miss my old super smart brain. :(

To me this is the hardest part of this illness, "If I only had a brain". You are NOT alone!! I also do the dyslexic typing, too, but was always a slow reader. I do have a high IQ, though. Maybe that's why it bothers me so much!! I find myself loosing words that I want to use in normal conversation with a more advanced vocabulary, and have to think of an easier way to express myself or stuttering trying to communicate. The words just fly out of my brain. My memory is horrible and used to be very sharp, too. I find I mix up homonyms, too, while writing or typing. :-( I excelled in writing and science, and am a retired RN, so I'm always researching, too, so you think that would help, but it really doesn't!! :blink::(

I'm so glad this topic was brought up by Sue. It is reassuring to me that I am not alone in these symptoms. My Doc has said, "you don't have Alzheimers" I hate having to deal with these symptoms that make me feel so demeaning and worthless. At least I am not alone and there is a reason for it.