Deep Vein Thrombosis?

Friedbrain

This would only be a peripheral problem but ekbering if anyone else here has had it? My blood pressure runs low and when I'm symptomatic w dysautonomia, sometimes my Bp and hr are REALLY low at night. Maybe because of this (combined with a past history-maybe current?-of anti phospholipids (risk of blood clots), I'm having DVT in my lower leg right now. Of ALL the problems I've had and worry about having, thus was not in the list! I awoke in the middle of the night (lowest time for my Bp and hr) with intense aching in my lower right leg. I've had many aches-joint, muscle-nothing like this. Nothing made it better. I finally fell back to sleep and, in the morning only hurt a little. I figured I wouldn't die from a leg ache so ignored it. It got worse until I couldn't even put weight on my leg. Dh is the one who asked about blood clot-I researched and all the symptoms fit!! :(. Even the Homan's sign-just flexing my foot brings on intense lower leg ache!

I will call doc in the morning and will start faithfully taking baby aspirin daily....thought I'd mention it here in case others are also at risk.

Hi friedbrain!

I don't mean to alarm you, and with your history of anti-phospholipid syndrome I'm sure you're very knowledgabe about DVT, but isn't it an emergency?

I haven't had one, myself, but two people in my family have and it was treated with a great deal of urgency. One was in ICU because the clot broke off and lodged in the lungs, causing pulmonary embolism. It's treated with blood thinners that require weekly monitoring, and you would also need repeat ultrasounds.

I'm not sure where you are or how your doctor's practice is run, but, mine has an off-hours number you can call and they can triage you. They might send you for an ultrasound right away (that's what they did for my Dad) and get you started with Warfarin or equivalent.

I'm sorry to hear about this and best of luck. Keep us posted!

:( it was hard to gauge the degree of emergency from the Internet-it sounded like it was only an emergency if it ended up in my lungs. I took four baby aspirin (my blood thinners, after the fact) and heated it (not sure the purpose-dilates? Get's blood moving?). Maybe it's better, maybe the aspirin took the hurt away and I can't tell. ( I hate taking pain killers for this reason- I prefer to know! But wanted the blood thinner effect). But since I don't know, tomorrow seems a long time away! Why didn't I automatically go to the ER? Because I was just there in June (doc directed, so not an over-reaction then) and I didn't want to seem like I cry wolf.

And no, I really didn't know anything about DVT or clot symptoms. I was first diagnosed with anti phospholipid syndrome in my 20s and it seemed like such a miniscule risk...over the years, though, I eh hem became older. A discussion I will revisit tomorrow!