Stupidish Food Question

imapumpkin

Okay this might sound like a stupid question but I don't drink and don't know much about cooking but I just helped myself to a big old bowl of penne alla vodka because everyone's always told me "the alcohol cooks off" so I don't need to worry. Out of curiosity I happened to google it just now and it turns out, all the alcohol does NOT cook off, only some of it is evaporated in the cooking process. Given that I'm on metoprolol, klonopin and lexapro (all very low doses, but still) and shouldn't mix them with any booze, should I be worried I just ate something that's going to make me worse?

It's true that not all the alcohol cooks off unless you cook something for a long time after you add the alcohol (for example if you braise something in liquid with wine, most of the alcohol would be gone because it is cooked for hours. That being said, I can't drink alcohol anymore, but have not been affected by the little bit of alcohol that is left in food that contains some sort of wine or spirits. Of course, we can never guarantee another person's reaction, but I've never been told to avoid foods that have some sort of alcohol as an ingredient except for rum cakes. Rum cakes have rum soaked into them after being baked and are full strength.

thanks for the response!! i'm not **too** worried because if they sell this stuff in a jar on the shelves (it's bertolli sauce) that anyone can buy the alcohol content has got to be minimal...still i don't like to risk anything by having any alcohol at all. i always get a little worried because i've never reacted well to alcohol even when I could drink (I really was never a drinker anyway) so I'm just hoping whatever vodka was in the sauce mostly burned off?