Circadian Rythm Question

POTLUCK

( I am now on a RX MAOI for depression which has really confused my HR's)

My question is really about prior to this:

Prior to this my HR was always highest in the morning-well above 120, and my symptoms were the worst, and lowest in the evening -often near a normal persons HR before bed, and my symptoms were the best. I do not faint from my POTS, and my blood pressure is elevated both lying and standing. (Cardio at tilt test said Hyperadrenergic type, but I never had NE test standing)

When my blood pressure is lower my HR goes higher, and when I take propranolol which slow the heart at anything except a low dose it seems to make me feel more lightheaded so I assumed that it is lack of blood or oxygen to the brain that signals the heart to beat faster speeding it up.

My question is, if this is true, how can my brain get along with a much lower HR later in the evening, and still be less symptomatic!

Put another way when the heart speeds up shouldn't the brain get more blood and be less symptomatic not the opposite?

This is a rather medical question but does the adrenergic system that speeds the heart constrict the blood flow to the brain, or how does this make sense.

I think many of us are more symptomatic in the morning, circadian rhythm, low cortisol, etc.

Bear in mind that, if you are hypovolemic with your POTS, and you have been without fluids overnight as you sleep, your blood volume may be lower first thing in the morning and, hence, your symptoms worse.

I drink half a litre of salted water or electrolyte solution before I get up in the morning. Not the nicest way to start the day, but it helps my body recover more quickly from overnight dehydration and I have a better morning because of it.

Yes, I think Merlin has some good wisdom there! I just noted in another post that my neuro told me to drink 16 oz. of water (he told me it has to be water) before even getting out of bed and to put the compression socks on before getting out of bed. He also told me to take my midodrine as well and wait 10 mins. Before standing up. I can say that these things have given me some Improvement. He did mention the fact that we haven't been hydrating through the night.

It does make sense that the hr speeds up when we are not getting enough blood to the brain. Explained best by the fact that our bodies say that the brain comes first when it comes to wanting the proper amount of blood flow.