Is Anaerobic Threshold Related To Dysautonomia?

Singout

Hi, everyone,

This is my first post: I've had ME/CFS for 6 years, but have only had postural neural hypotension (although I haven't got a clear diagnosis of that) for one year, when my ME got a lot worse, sending me from a pretty normal life to being housebound.

I've been doing a lot of work since I got really sick last year on getting more info and tests, about both ME and dysautonomia.

I'm getting a submaximal anaerobic threshold test done on Thursday--to check when my body shifts from anaerobic to aerobic energy--and am wondering if there's any connection between this process and the process that causes PNH. Does anyone know?

I'm getting the test done at a sports facility (usually hard core athletes want to know this!) so I'm not counting on them to have a lot of medical info.

Thanks!

This was very confusing to me and I talked to cardio who treats my POTS. My heart rate when running would go to a number 50 points higher than my calculated maximum HR. I could run 8 miles at one point with my HR average for the entire 8 miles above my calculated maximum for my age. ( i.e 220-age ) That does not mean I was going that fast by the way, just that the HR was way to high.

I discussed this with cardio who said it was safe to run at this rate, but he set up aerobic stress test to answer my question of does increased HR mean increased VO2max as they talk of. The problem was when I went to do the test at his own hospital the nurses stopped me when I reached my calculated maximum HR. I was still running and telling them my breathing was not even hard and I could go much faster and this is defeating the test and can't they call the doctor for permission etc. but they slowed the treadmill and would not allow it.

I will be interested in your results.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your post - I'm interested in the results of your test. I've also got ME and what's been called neurally mediated hypotension, which I'm guessing is similar to postural neural hypotension(?) I had a standard stress test done almost two years ago during which my HR increased quite dramatically - but the max my BP went to was 120/80. Given that my BP is normally pretty low, that was a high BP for me, but the cardiologist said it should have been higher when I was on the treadmill and my HR was high.

That explained to me why I'm so exercise intolerant - anything cardio, like just raking leaves or brisk walking, can make me dizzy and shaky v. fast. (I do daily Pilates-type exercises on the floor b/c I'm so desperate to avoid deconditioning!). However, I'm unfamiliar with the concept of moving from anaerobic to aerobic energy, and am curious to know what they find in your case. (I'm in the UK and have no access to tests like the one you describe.)

Best of luck with the test, and please do let us know how it goes.