Has Anyone Tried Deplin…Prescription Only L-Methlyfolate? Apparently A Very Hot Item...

So I've just Started using Deplin, it's a medical food containing L-methylfolate. It's prescription only and the gist is that its the precursor to Folic Acid.

Apparently Like some ridiculously high number of people do not convert Folic Acid into an available nutrient for the body. And as we know the lack of Folic Acid can wreak Havoc on the Nervous System so my Doc thought we should give it a shot.

http://www.deplin.com

Check it out peeps.

My only concern is that Im also on Wellbutrin and Lexapro right now so I'm concerned I'm not getting a fair judge of what its actually doing. I'm contemplating weaning off my meds and just staying on the Deplin to see what its really made of.

It's just a curious thing that most of the stuff that works for our illness falls under the "anxiety/Depression" umbrella of medications for some odd reason and this is the natural form of a solution to those illness's.

Let me know if anyone else starts this or has used it i am very curious!!!!!

My son takes Deplin. He has been on it for awhile and also needs methyl-B 12. I did the 23 and me testing with him this last year and found out that he needs the methyl B 12 and its doners. If you are not getting the right form of B 12 this form of methylfolate may not be able to be absorbed by your body. My son also takes a methyl B-12 shot twice a week.

I tested homozygous for the MTHFR defect that decreases your ability to break down folate into its usable form. I also have a lot of neurological issues-epilepsy,a POTS, progressive polyneuropathy-so I thought I was really onto a solution. Then another one of my doctors repeated the test through a different lab and it showed that I did not have the defect.

So now I'm not sure what to do about these conflicting results. I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I know there are a few members of Dinet that have this genetic defect. I will be interested to hear what they have to say about appropriate treatment.

My son takes Deplin. He has been on it for awhile and also needs methyl-B 12. I did the 23 and me testing with him this last year and found out that he needs the methyl B 12 and its doners. If you are not getting the right form of B 12 this form of methylfolate may not be able to be absorbed by your body. My son also takes a methyl B-12 shot twice a week.

tell me more about the B-12? i do know its important but it seems to me that most B-12's come with folic acid in them and With the Deplin it is not recommended to take Folic Acid as it can block the version of Folic Acid that Deplin is. This is just what i was told. I'm am no Doctor of course but it was recommended to avoid.

There are different forms of of B-12 and folate. You are right about not mixing a large amount of regular folate with methylfolate. It can cause problems. My son uses a methyl B12 supplement and shot that is on the methyl B-12 only. My son has done the 23 and me testing. I had to do alot of research to figure out many things. I have a document that does pretty good job of explaining why methylB-12 should be used with methylfolate. I will find it and post again.

The Deplin really helped with brain fog and fatigue issues when my son started uses it. My son also takes Zoloft about 2 hours before going to bed. I have not seen any side effects with using both of these prescriptions.

Hi, I've learned a bit about this as my cardiologist tested me for MTHFR along with inflammatory markers and a genetic lipids panel. The lab that did my test was Health Diagnostics. MTHFR and it's various versions are being studied in cardiovascular disease, autoimmune, autism and depressive disorders as well as the long studied ob/gyn birth defects like spina bifida. I turned out to have the homozygous the version with elevated homocysteine. This form is the least able to convert folic acid into the active form the body uses.

Folic acid is the most common form of folate and is found in all our enriched foods and most b vitamin complex and is the inactive or synthetic form of folate. B vitamins are usually considered water soluble and pass through the body quickly, unless you have the mthfr defective version of the gene. Then your body can't get rid of it and it builds up. It also means you are not getting adequate amounts of folate(b9) the form the body uses, especially the brain. You can get it naturally if you eat enough foods that have it, like fruits and veggies.

The only form of L-methylfolate sold over the counter, (the form used in most research studies), is the Solgar Brand of it and is just under 1 gram. There are at least two prescription forms, one is:

Metanx it has L-methylfolate Calcium as Metafolin 3mg, Pyridoxal 5-phosphate 35mg, Methylcobalamin 2 mg, these are all active forms of b vitamins

Deplin is the other one and is a very high dose version of L-Methylfolate without the other active b's

L-methylfolate is the active form of folate and does not need to be converted by the defective/switched enzyme found in mthfr gene defects. The body can use it immediately. The high dose is used in depressive disorders, Metanx is used for neurological disorders and lower doses are used in pregnancy.

I am taking the solgar methylfoltate, and methyl b12 and will be adding in the other active b5, b6.

Since starting the supplements along with two autoimmune meds my inflammatory markers and lipid panel have corrected.

Hi, I've learned a bit about this as my cardiologist tested me for MTHFR along with inflammatory markers and a genetic lipids panel. The lab that did my test was Health Diagnostics. MTHFR and it's various versions are being studied in cardiovascular disease, autoimmune, autism and depressive disorders as well as the long studied ob/gyn birth defects like spina bifida. I turned out to have the homozygous the version with elevated homocysteine. This form is the least able to convert folic acid into the active form the body uses.

Folic acid is the most common form of folate and is found in all our enriched foods and most b vitamin complex and is the inactive or synthetic form of folate. B vitamins are usually considered water soluble and pass through the body quickly, unless you have the mthfr defective version of the gene. Then your body can't get rid of it and it builds up. It also means you are not getting adequate amounts of folate(b9) the form the body uses, especially the brain. You can get it naturally if you eat enough foods that have it, like fruits and veggies.

The only form of L-methylfolate sold over the counter, (the form used in most research studies), is the Solgar Brand of it and is just under 1 gram. There are at least two prescription forms, one is:

Metanx it has L-methylfolate Calcium as Metafolin 3mg, Pyridoxal 5-phosphate 35mg, Methylcobalamin 2 mg, these are all active forms of b vitamins

Deplin is the other one and is a very high dose version of L-Methylfolate without the other active b's

L-methylfolate is the active form of folate and does not need to be converted by the defective/switched enzyme found in mthfr gene defects. The body can use it immediately. The high dose is used in depressive disorders, Metanx is used for neurological disorders and lower doses are used in pregnancy.

I am taking the solgar methylfoltate, and methyl b12 and will be adding in the other active b5, b6.

Since starting the supplements along with two autoimmune meds my inflammatory markers and lipid panel have corrected.

Wow Interesting! Yes I have to say i feel like 1,000 times better on it. The first couple of days it ramped me up, feeling a bit hyper and then i kind of felt nothing. I would say it was on the month mark of taking it that i really notice a huge huge difference. I am on Deplin 15mg. So I'm on the highest of everything. I'm contemplating attempting to go off my other medications in maybe a month or two to see if its possible to be just on the Deplin.

I have EDS, Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation, moderate to severe Mast Cell issues and Depression and Anxiety if I am not on an Antidepressant.

Let me know how your time goes with the Solgar brand, I'd be very curious