New Palpitations - What's Normal?

I don't usually have much of a problem with my heartbeat - even when it's really fast and I don't really notice it, and I've had palpitations occasionally but they're usually just a quick flutter. But a few weeks ago I started having a new type of palpitation and it's kind of throwing me off. It sort feels like my heart is suddenly slowing down and beating really deeply, and it makes me a bit lightheaded when it happens. At first it was just happening every few days but now it's a couple of times a day, lasting anywhere from a few beats to about 30 seconds. I know palpitations can be a symptom of POTS but this is new for me so I guess I'm just wondering what's normal.

I know I probably need to see a cardiologist about this but I don't have one I see regularly and the last one was 2 hours away - so I guess in the mean time I'm just curious what other people experience and what's considered normal for POTS.

Hi! Not sure if this is normal, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had that feeling several times before. Still I would get it checked to be safe, but it may be a little comforting, in the meantime, to know that someone else experiences it too. I hope you find answers soon and please let me know what you find out! Thanks! Take care!

My position is that any palpitation that causes other symptoms should be discussed with a good cardiologist or EP. I know this is something that you know, but that is where I would draw the line. Some uncomfortable PVCs is one thing, irregular heartbeats that cause dizziness is another. That is not saying that it is anything to worry about or not, but it is at the very least something to get identified.