New To Forum

Hello All:

I wanted to introduce myself. I am a mom of 1, and married to a wonderful man. I was working in public relations for a large corporation when I was diagnosed with POTS via TTT in 2012. The onset was sudden and dramatic, though I have never fainted. It gradually went from dramatic occasional episodes to daily mild symptoms (coat hanger pain, cold extremities, fatigue). My symptoms are most exacerbated by hormonal shifts, mostly during ovulation and during my menstrual cycle. I can feel almost no POTS symptoms between those times which leads me to feel that it’s really sex hormones that drives POTS (I haven't researched this fully I admit; it's more of my experience speaking here). I developed POTS 1 year after nursing my child and after a bad bronchitis that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to heal.

What helps me most is midodrine and more recently, propranolol. Since 2012, it seems the hypotension is the most prevalent symptom if I had any at all. The exception has been this month when my endocrinologist switched me from Armour Thyroid to Synthroid and now tachycardia, adrenaline surges, and even wider blood pressure variances are up. I eat plenty of salt with every meal. Drink about 2L of water per day. I work with an excellent dietitian. Exercise (walking mostly) helps when I can do it but it's intermittent. I’ve learned to adapt and I couldn't do without my loving and supporting family. Fortunately there have been lots of good times when I feel like myself again. The strength I gain from this powers me through the hard times.

If I can offer any insights to any newly diagnosed dysautonomic patients, it's that there may be a steep learning curve the first 6 months or so, but you will learn how to adapt and there will be times of stability and peace to look forward to. So you have to hang in there spiritually and learn to adapt physically. Do what you can, when you can but don't overdo it. My first summer was tough - I learned to stay out of the heat and made sure A/C was available wherever I needed it. I hydrated well but over-salted on a couple of occasions so I learned to salt throughout the day. I also learned that afternoons were my best times for productivity and errands.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting with you online!

Welcome to the forum. So glad you have found ways to get your POTS condition under control.

Welcome! My story is very similar. Did your symptoms start one year after weaning your child, or immediately after weaning your child whom you nursed for a year? In my case it was the latter. As soon as I weaned her and got my period back, I started having weird episodes, which like yours, were mostly to due with "that time of the month" or after flying. When I became pregnant with my second, things got a lot worse, but at least now I know what I'm dealing with and have learned to manage it a lot better.

• 4 months later...

Welcome! My story is very similar. Did your symptoms start one year after weaning your child, or immediately after weaning your child whom you nursed for a year? In my case it was the latter. As soon as I weaned her and got my period back, I started having weird episodes, which like yours, were mostly to due with "that time of the month" or after flying. When I became pregnant with my second, things got a lot worse, but at least now I know what I'm dealing with and have learned to manage it a lot better.

Hi shan1212, sorry I didn't see this sooner but to answer your question, yes, my symptoms started about a year after weaning my child! Right after weaning, PMS symptoms started flaring up more intensely month after month, then about a year later, bam! my first POTS episode. My episodes are mostly driven by hormonal fluctuation, it seems like estrogen. I'm very cautiously considering a second pregnancy. I'm happy to hear that you were able to navigate POTS through a second pregnancy, it is encouraging. How did POTS present for you during/after your second pregnancy?