Iv Therapy Started Today

Hope you are feeling better today. I have heard this treatment can help the POTS patient.

My body doesn't get any good out of running the liter that quick. It goes straight to my kidneys, and out.

And it almost sounds like your body was getting "shocked" by the fluids hitting it. I get that same feeling when I have to flush my picc line, and the intense hit from the saline I use kinda screws me up for a bit, but then it resolves. I hope the iv therapy helps you :) Its made a pretty good difference in me.

• 2 weeks later...

IV saline is near and dear to my heart. I had read it could help and found a naturopathic doc who was willing to try. My husband was with me at that first trial and noticed my color change dramatically as the IV infused...for the better. He said I didn't look as sepulchral. Also, my headache improved, and I felt better.

After more research, discussions with my physician after supplying him research, and peripheral IV trials, I had a PIC (Percutaneous Intravenous Catheter) line inserted at the end of 2011. I'm on my third PIC in those two and a half years. I have been infusing a liter everyday running it wide open and am usually done in about an hour and a half.

This has helped me tremendously. I found I had to eliminate coffee, (sigh), so it wouldn't "just pass through" and also put the head of my bed on a six inch riser. The saline had helped my hypotension, tachycardia, headaches, and generally my ability to function a bit more.

Between the IV NaCl, midodrine, and ivabradine, my symptoms are somewhat more controlled.

Just my experience, because I know we all react in our own unique individual ways to all the interventions we try.

When I'm well hydrated, I do fantastically better than when I'm not. I know my saline therapy has helped me bounce back from crashes easier, allowed me to focus on trying to eat actual food (I have swallow issues that get compounded by the fact I was drinking constantly for some weird reason), and its kept me out of the emergency room every week.

I find if I run mine slower (usually overnight, 8-10 hours), my body really takes in the hydration better, and its not instantly hitting my kidneys and out the door. The past two runs though, I've upped my speed to 4-6 hours, because I've been dealing with extra vertigo on top of everything, and the later I have to wait to starting it, I'm not able to get it started properly (I have a hard time focusing in). I wanted to start my treatment today earlier, but had a doctors appointment, so I'm currently running it on the faster side. Anytime they've run it wide open or within 2 hours at the ER, its run itself right through me, and I don't really feel the benefit.

I currently have a PICC too, and this one should last a year with great care.

It took several months of fighting for it, but the saline therapy has been a great tool into my treatment. I just dislike that when I get one thing going great, something else is going wrong.