Hip Pain Anyone??

sue1234

I have been having an off/on sore hip joint when walking for the last 2 years. I can go weeks and it is fine, then one day I'll just be walking or I stood up too long for the day and it is sore. This will last about a week and then back to being ok. When it hurts, I don't take anything for the pain(just 1/2 a Tylenol every few months).

About a month ago it went out again, but this time it hurt really bad to put any weight on it, so I limped around leaning on walls and furniture. It went away again. I went to see an orthopedic surgeon to see what was going on. I was born with congenital hip dysplasia that I had to wear a brace for it as a baby. My hips got ok, then I went the rest of my life without any problems(50 years). So I thought I would have that looked at. Well, the doctor told me I have zero cushion left in either hip AND both have arthritis!! I was not expecting that, as the other hip does not hurt at all. Also, why would my hurting hip go through weeks of NO pain??

He said the only option is a double hip replacement, that nothing other than surgery would help the joints(neither pain meds or therapy would help). I said I will wait until I can no longer handle the pain. Since then, I have just gone downhill!! I have had to get a cane and borrow crutches. I don't know why it has gotten so bad in the last few weeks, but I cannot continue indefinitely like this.

I wonder personally if my hip just gets slightly out of joint, it hurts, then somehow goes back in and then no pain. It comes on that fast and leaves that fast. I would think no cushion and arthritis would mean it should hurt all the time.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I have EDS hybermobility so take this with a grain of salt....but, yes, my hips mildly subluxate and it causes significant pain. I can feel the bones rubbing each other incorrectly. Then, it will slip back into alignment and I am good until the next time it happens. Of course, the fact that this happens does predispose me to early osteoarthritis. At some point I plan on starting a good glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyluaronic acid supplement to keep my joints lubed.

I do have hip joint pain off and on - it's mostly in the morning right after I woke up and then goes away within the next 2-3 hours.

I never found any connection to what I did the day before resp. what I do in the morning. It just comes "whenever it wants", so to speak. I will take a closer look if it can have something to do with what I eat...?

Katy, I don't have EDS, but I have been having "looser" joints since POTS hit. Like when I'm walking(for exercise), I might have an instant where sudden pain happens in my foot and I have to quit. It is hard to explain, but it is like something shifts in there where it is not supposed to. I might limp around for the next hour, and then it immediately goes away at some point. That's what makes me think it is a shifting within a joint. Ugh!!

Goschi, it would never hurt to do a food diary. You never know!

Thanks for your replies. I don't want a hip replacement, due to the restrictions on range of movement for months afterwards. I am so limited on how I can get comfortable sitting or lying down that I'm afraid I'll continually put it in the wrong position. Besides the fact that I am physically deconditioned and would find it hard to go through rehab. But, I'm not sure I have much time left to avoid the procedure.