Florinef Not A Vasoconstrictor?

Goschi

Recently, my cardio thought again about giving me Florinef, but once again, he considered my BP being still a bit to high. When he saw my disappointment, he replied: "Don't worry too much about it, Florinef won't probably help you, as it has no vasoconstricting effect and thus won't prevent venous pooling."

I always thought Florinef acts right this way? But he denied again. Anyone knows about the mechanisms of Florinef...?

Florinef (fludrocortisone) acts indirectly as a vasconstrictor by increasing the sensitivity of peripheral alpha-receptors. Florinef increases plasma volume. This can help indirectly with venous pooling because while blood is pooling in your extremities, there is more reserve to perfuse your upper body.

Florinef gave me heaches while laying down that were only relieved by elevating my bed. It also gave me high blood pressure.

When is your blood pressure high? If it is only high when standing (orthostatic hypertension), then Florinef, as well as IV saline and salt loading, can be beneficial because hypovolemia can sometimes paradoxically cause high blood pressure due to excess sympathetic activity triggered by low cerebral perfusion. This approach definietely requires close observation by a doctor as well as at home BP monitoring.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, DeGenesis!!

My BP got almost only higher (up to 150/100) when I was upright , though this didn't happen every time. When I was supine, it was always pretty perfect (115/75).

With the recent use of a Betablocker (1.25mg Bystolic every morning), the BP never goes higher than 130/90 when I am standing, supine it even tends to get to low (100/65).

I will discuss the use of florinef with my neuro, he seems to be more willing to give it a try!!