What Helps Abdominal Pain?

Hearts

I know most people here probably have GI issues and I have many of them. I dont take any regular meds for GI problems though. Frequently I get severe abdominal pains not related to eating, they come out of nowhere but are worse when standing, and I get the sweats. Does anyone take meds that help with this or have any tips? I drink plenty of fluids. My diagnosis' are dysautonomia/POTS, NCS, OI, hypotension, EDS (the list could go on but those are the major points).

I get severe abdominal pain and have bad constipation. My gastroentorolgist (who has made it his business to know a bit about POTS and it's effects on the enteric system) has told me on a few occasions that abdominal pain is common in people with POTS. No answers as to why, just the observation. I get the sweats when I get the abdominal pain too. Sometimes it comes with sitting awkwardly. Sitting in a car brings it on, a lot of the time. But it will usually ease with standing and moving around. I used to have to lie down in the fetal position and wait an hour until it passed but now, for some reason, moving around helps it. I notice I get really irritable and frustrated when I experience the pain. But who wouldn't after years of it?

I've had nearly all the tests. Colonoscopy, endoscopy, how quickly my small colon empties (slowly) etc. I didn't have a test for gastroparesis although I could have if I wanted. When I asked the gastroenterologist I was seeingat the time, did he think I could have gastroparesis?, he said yes, but that I could be tested for it if I wanted. Because he was of the opinion that I did have it, and because I just couldn't face or afford another test at the time, I decided his opinion was good enough for me.

Sorry I can't give you an answer. Just my gi's observation that abdominal pain is common in POTS. I hope you find and answer and it you do, could you share it. Please.

blue

I have abdominal pain associated with abdominal migraine and sometimes mcas issues. It may or may not occur with diarrhea. I take depakote as a preventative the for my migraine headaches and that has significantly reduced my gi problems including the ab pain. When I do have breakthrough pain, I have a script for Donnatal that I can use as needed. I try to use this very sparingly as it had phenobarbitol in it and can be addictive. But it definitely relieves my pain when needed.

I know it's often times really hard to get a diagnosis for what's causing this pain. I stumbled upon my abdominal migraine dx accidentally. Other than the common causes that most docs test for, things I've come across in research that are more out of the box include abdominal migraine, abdominal epilepsy, and cyclic vomiting syndrome.

I get bad constipation and this makes my all-body nerve pain worse and bad head and eye pain. When I have gut pain it's usually from wind and having IBS means I had to eliminate foods that created gas and bloating. I love veggies and sadly had to get rid of the sprouts and broccoli. There is a list of 20 foods that can give you gas and pain: sugar, eggs, cabbage, onions, caulifour, garlic, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spices, dairy, leek, gluten, oats, wheat, alcohol, beans and green pepper.
I was recently found to have a problem with the nightshade family of plants: tomato, potato, aubergine and peppers. Since I stopped eating these my gut is a lot happier and no gas, pain or bloating.